Thursday, July 9, 2009

a sad day...

Yesterday was a sad day. We replaced our little white car.
I don't know why it was so hard for me to part with it. It has been slowly falling apart for some time now. Rich has been driving around in the heat without a reliable air conditioner (it was the last thing to go.) I've rarely driven it in the past several months because Rich has been afraid it would break down on me.
That little car drove Rich up to college and back several times. It's the car we drove while we were dating.... to places like Dairy Keen, temple square, Comedy Sportz (nose hair clipper, Heather?), and the Movies 8. It got us through grad school. It took us to see all the church history sites: Independence, Liberty, Winter Quarters, Adam-ondi-Ahman, Far West, Carthage, and Nauvoo. It took us to Omaha... where somewhere in the middle of Kansas we lost our duct-taped headlight. It drove us to Dallas on numerous occasions. This car was full of memories!
Farewell little Geo!

12 comments:

  1. If you notice on my blog, the pic of Jeffrey with the candy--he is standing next to our little white car. We have had it for 12 years now. It keeps on chugging--thankfully, cuz the day it has to go, will be a sad day in the form of a new car payment--ugh! Farewell old car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So . . . did you get the Taurus?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine... Rich had this car for 10 years and he bought it used. It's been a great little car. I can't believe you've had yours for 12! Way to go!
    Amy... we DID get the Taurus. Are you jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sad day...but new memories to make in a new car!

    ReplyDelete
  5. College cars have so many memories. I've never had a car that long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, Jeanine. I feel for you. We have the exact same Geo, except in a tan color. It took us through dating, early marriage, etc. and now it is falling apart. So I can totally relate to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hard to let go of those old, lived-in cars. And I believe that Rich was my date when we went to Comedy Sportz--wasn't it somehow part of our scheme in getting the two of you together? Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heath... yes, you were Rich's date. I don't know if we were scheming though... I thought you went with Rich in defiance of your mother... that you could and would date boys that were shorter than you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its sad to loose special cars...that's how we felt when we lost Maddie, and that's how I felt about the Silver Bullet...did you use Amy and Jeff's discount for your new car?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elise... it was sad to see the Silver Bullet go... but I was already out of the house by then so it wasn't AS sad. I think Amy and Jeff's discount is only good for new cars... and we bought a used one. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know exactly how you feel! It was a sad day when we had to get rid of our college car.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Precious memories! I wish I would have had the wisdom to record more of those.

    I remember this car. Rich came to visit us in Orem while he was attending BYU. Great little car!

    ReplyDelete