With just a few days until Christmas, the weather was still pretty warm. So when the weatherman said that there was a chance of 3 inches of snow for Christmas I thought to myself, "Yeah, maybe we'll get one." Boy was I wrong. We woke up on Christmas Eve to a snow storm... and it continued to snow all day. Actually, with those "winds sweeping down the plains" it turned into an all-out blizzard! All-in-all we ended up with fourteen inches of snow!
So while the weather outside was frightful we kept a fire going (it was so delightful)... and after our Christmas Eve feast we acted out the nativity.
The boys ended up deciding to both be shepherds. (Originally William wanted to be a camel and James wanted to be Santa. When I told him that Santa wasn't in this story he wanted to be a Wiseman... but once William decided to be a shepherd then James had to be one too!)
The boys went to bed pretty well and even slept in the next morning! Yea for us! After opening too many fun presents (James got a new bike from Santa and William got a camera, Alex got a farm)...
... we decided to brave the weather and drive to Grandma's house. But before we could go anywhere Rich had to shovel us out. And while Rich shoveled (for two hours!) the boys played. James didn't think it was all that great and decided to head back inside before too long with Mom and Alex. William, on the other hand, had a blast. He ran around throwing snowballs at Rich, making snow angels (he called them snow monsters), and even attempted to build a snowman on his own.
It took us a long time to get over to Grandma's--we got stuck in the snow only once. There were abandoned cars all over the road. Rich said it looked like one of those end-of-the-world-movies where everyone died and there are cars all over in the middle of the street. We saw cars, mail trucks, buses... but the funniest was an abandoned beer truck that had beer can scattered around it. When we finally made it to Edmond we realized that we should have come a little more prepared. We weren't about to attempt the drive at night when everything started to freeze over. So after more presents and some good food, we had an impromptu Christmas sleepover. The boys thought it was so cool... and it was an extra treat that Aunt Lisa got to read the bedtime stories.
It was a wonderful Christmas... and the snow made it even more magical! I hope the boys remember it because it probably won't happen again!




Wow! How fun to have so much now for Christmas! That picture of all the abandoned cars is pretty crazy. I bet your boys had fun in the snow.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you got a white Christmas, and were safe in your travels! I'm a little jealous!
ReplyDeleteit was all over the news so It better have been a BLIZZARD! :) I can't believe that snow drift. I would have stayed home. You're a better daughter-in-law than me for sure! :)
ReplyDeletei'm jealous of your white christmas! looks like fun!
ReplyDeleteJealous. We didn't get the snow until Sunday. IT does look really fun.
ReplyDeleteone more thing...my boys all wanted to be shepherds, too.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun Christmas. I'm glad you were safe.
ReplyDeleteHow great to get snow just in time for Christmas. I think snow is only fun when you have kids to enjoy it with. We've had pretty much no snow. Olivia is really wanting to go sledding and build a snow man but it's pretty hard to do with only 1/8 inch snow.
ReplyDeleteA shepherd with a utility belt... That's ingenious and well done! William is the man!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun Christmas! I love William's pictures! That's too fun! We love you guys! Happy New Year!!!!
ReplyDelete