We had our annual back-to-school feast the night before.
Our kid-picked menu this year was homemade chicken nuggets, baked french fries, fresh berries, and sparkling cider. And our theme: I Can Do Hard Things. The boys each got a keychain to put on their backpacks to remind them.
Every week at Family Night the boys report to us what hard things they've done in the past week. It has been wonderful to hear the things they are doing (keeping their shirt tucked in at church, walking all the way to school, taking tests). And when they get discouraged about something I just whisper to them, "but you can do hard things" and it seems to give them the determination to try one more time.
Monday morning we got all ready for our first day of school in Las Vegas. I think I'm always more nervous than the boys on the first day because we have never been at a school for more than a year--and each school has their own way of doing things.
William started 3rd grade this year:
And James is my big first grader:
I'm glad that these two are buddies and that they look out for each other.

I love your motto for the year -" I can do hard things." The little key rings are a great idea. You know, I still say that to myself over and over when I am having a rough day and it really is a great comfort. Hope you are enjoying Las Vegas!
ReplyDeleteI love this tradition you have! Where did you get the key chains? They are great. I love how you continue to remind them of your motto and have them share how they have done hard things.
ReplyDeleteLOVE this theme! and I love your back to school dinners each year. The crowns are awesome too. I bet it's fun to have a silhouette.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you're kids have been to so many schools!