James had a great year with Mrs. Humphrey and made some wonderful friends as well. He really excelled in reading this year. William would hardly touch a book in first grade and wouldn't read for fun at all... but James couldn't get enough!! James is reading far past his grade level and it's fun to see him love it so much. He continues to love math and work hard at everything--including speech! (I think he may only have a trimester left!!)
He was recognized for Above Average Growth on Discovery Reading Assessment, Exemplary Citizenship, Perfect Attendance all Year, Governors Exemplary Attendance, and A/B Honor Roll all Year.
William really, really lucked out in school this year. I was really worried about him with this last move since he had clicked so well with friends and school in North Carolina. He ended up in a class with a ton of kids from church which was amazing. And I'm pretty sure that Ms. Dorbeck is the best 3rd grade teacher at the school. She was perfect for him. He's finally started to like reading for fun. And he just doesn't read little easy books. He read all 5 books of the Percy Jackson series and is now reading the Heroes of Olympus series by the same author. They are big books. I think it was a combination of a little healthy competition with James (who got to go to the first trimester AR barbeque and William didn't), a series he enjoyed, and the fact that we let him stay up 30 minutes later as long as he was reading.
William was also recognized for Above Average Growth on Discovery Reading Assessment, Exemplary Citizenship, Above Average Growth on Discovery Math Assessment, Governors Exemplary Attendance, and A/B Honor Roll all Year.
For a last day of school treat we got some drumsticks and popsicles to eat. (William isn't there because he was at a swim party.)
Alexander and Henry are super excited to have their brothers home with them during the day now!

Looks like a great school year! I think it's nice that they are recognized for their achievements. They don't give out awards at Olivia's school (afraid someone's feelings might get hurt? I don't know. Sad, huh?)
ReplyDeleteYay William and James! Good work!
ReplyDeleteAmy, that IS sad. I guess they used to do trimester awards here but now just do one big one at the end. They still get certificates each trimester just in their classrooms.
ReplyDelete