Just minutes after the epidural was in place my lips started to feel tingly and I felt light-headed. I'm glad I said something to the nurse because I passed out soon after they helped me to lay down. Everything after that is a little blurry or I have no recollection of it at all. The next thing I remember is that everything was set up and ready to go for the c-section and I'm sure they had started. Usually they do a "pinch test" to make sure the epidural has take effect. They didn't do that this time (that I can remember). My mind was fuzzy but I did let them know I was in pain. Dr. Harter asked if they had done a pinch test and they hadn't... but they started doing it then. I remember the nurse pinching my arm. Ummm.. little too late for that! With Henry when I felt pain they gave me a little bit more medicine with the epidural and I was fine. This time they gave me some other pain med that really left me tired and loopy. Honestly, I don't remember Rich being there. I couldn't keep my eyes open to see him. I do remember him holding my hand and talking to me though. I didn't even get to see Lydia right after she was born (which makes me a little sad). I kept asking Rich "What happened?" because I knew this wasn't "normal." He just kept telling me we had a baby. I could barely form words but in my head I kept thinking, "I know we had a baby! But what happened!?"
The next thing I can remember is being in my hospital room and hearing Lydia screaming. She has quite a pair of lungs!
Eventually the haze wore off and I was able to hold her. She is just so so sweet.
I ended up with some great nurses (which make a huge difference!) for myself... although I didn't really care for the baby nurses.
We are so glad that this little girl is a part of our family!

Oh Jeanine, that sounds just awful. I'm so sorry they didn't follow usual protocol/listen to your wishes very well. But I'm glad you and Lydia are doing ok. She is so beautiful and I hope we get to meet her soon (we might be in Vegas in a couple of weeks)!
ReplyDeleteShe is so precious Jeanine!! What an ordeal. I'm so sorry, you'd think it would get easier after your 5th! :) But she is beautiful and I'm just thrilled for you!!
ReplyDeleteThat's a crazy story! I am glad she is here safely and everyone is feeling better. She's adorable!!!!
ReplyDeleteSorry you had such a stinky Dr. I'm glad you had good nurses though. I totally forget about the celebratory meal! That was the best! How fun that we had out babies at the same hospital! With the same Dr. (Kind of). And now you have a beautiful girl! We can't wait to meet her! Hooray!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you had a bad experience. That's really too bad! Boo on stinky doctors! So glad everything turned out okay.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you delivered at the same hospital as Elise. That's kind of fun.
Yeah, Amy, I delivered at the same hospital as Elise and my doctor is the one that was on-call with Elise when Caden was born. Pretty cool.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about the challenging birth. She certainly is worth it...but sorry for the pain and the inconsiderate doctors. Thank you for posting the story. I didn't understand why my c-section was so much more painful this time until I read your post. I had had an epidural with Azaleia's birth since it wasn't a planned c-section and after not progressing in labor this second time...they only did a spinal before the c-section since I was going drug free to have a successful VBAC. Well I had a c-section after not dilating and I felt so much pain during the surgery...and even passed out on the operating table too. I don't remember meeting baby boy until later in recovery. So now I know for the future that I need to ask for an epidural before the c-section. I didn't know there was a difference until you explained it.
ReplyDelete