So... summer is here! Thank goodness this summer has not been so brutally hot like last year! Here are some of the things we've done to kick off summer.
At storytime we've been "camping" and to the "beach" We even made ice cream one day! It was so much fun and EASY that I thought I'd share the recipe.
Ice Cream in a Bag
2. Place the small ziploc bag down into the large bag. Cover with the ice and salt. Seal the large bag tightly.
3. Shake, toss, and flip the bags for 5 to 10 minutes. If the bag gets too cold to handle, wrap it with a towel or pass it from person to person. Don't open the large bag to check on the ice cream because it may not seal properly afterwards.
4. Open both bags and spoon the ice cream into small cups. (Or just eat right out of the bag!) Enjoy!
Flavor variations:
1. Substitute other extract flavors for the vanilla.
2. Omit the vanilla and half the sugar. Add strawberry or chocolate syrup to the milk mixture.
For our date on Friday night we took a walk around Mitch Park in Edmond. This is the best park ever! There are playgrounds, baseball fields, walking trails... We unknowingly took a different trail than we usually do and ended up walking for an hour! My flip-flopped feet were a little sore.
At storytime we've been "camping" and to the "beach" We even made ice cream one day! It was so much fun and EASY that I thought I'd share the recipe.
Ice Cream in a Bag
- 1 gallon ziplock bag
- 1 quart ziploc bag (heavy duty)
- 4 c. ice
- 1/4 c. salt (rock salt I think)
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 TB sugar
- cups and spoons
2. Place the small ziploc bag down into the large bag. Cover with the ice and salt. Seal the large bag tightly.
3. Shake, toss, and flip the bags for 5 to 10 minutes. If the bag gets too cold to handle, wrap it with a towel or pass it from person to person. Don't open the large bag to check on the ice cream because it may not seal properly afterwards.
4. Open both bags and spoon the ice cream into small cups. (Or just eat right out of the bag!) Enjoy!
Flavor variations:
1. Substitute other extract flavors for the vanilla.
2. Omit the vanilla and half the sugar. Add strawberry or chocolate syrup to the milk mixture.
For our date on Friday night we took a walk around Mitch Park in Edmond. This is the best park ever! There are playgrounds, baseball fields, walking trails... We unknowingly took a different trail than we usually do and ended up walking for an hour! My flip-flopped feet were a little sore.

On Saturday, when William came in all hot and sweaty from doing yard work with Rich he said, "Go swim. Let's surprise Dad." So we set off to fill up our little wading pool and subsequently break it in. William had a great time and thought it was hilarious to splash mom with the cold water. 



William now picks out his clothes everyday. He is pretty good at it but has decided to only wear "up-pants" (as opposed to "down pants"). When I tell him to go grab some shorts he corrects me, "not shorts mom--up pants." 

I hope that you are all having fun celebrating the arrival of summer!


I'm glad your homemade ice cream worked. Every time I've tried that recipe (usually at mutual activities), a hole would rip in my bag and then I'd end up with salty ice cream. Not so good.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love the term "up-pants." Very creative. It's about as good as what my uncle likes to call capri/crop-length pants: "schpants" (as in "short pants").
Oh that ice cream brings back fond memories of our first date...the boys so kindly brought all the ingredients for the ice cream...except the sugar. Or was it the milk or salt? I don't remember but it was something crucial and all I know is that it ended up one big sticky liquid mess...but it was sure fun to toss it around together...we wrapped ours in newspaper...that might be a good trick for next time :)
ReplyDeleteOur summer is hot! that pool sure looked good!
Up-pants?! Ha! Where do kids come up with these things?
ReplyDeleteLOVED this post!!!! William cracks me up: up-pants and that picture of him in the pool holding the hose!
ReplyDeleteYou're a really fluid writer, Jeanine. So easy and fun to read about your life!
Up pants/down pants...that's pretty cute! What a darling family you have! and that ice cream treat sounds fun and delicious! I'll have to give it a try...your summer looks like it's off to a great start!
ReplyDeleteJosh saw that and said, "Is William swiming in my pool? I want to go!" He ran outside, but he couldn't find him. Hopefully he can "find" William soon so they can play. That ice cream idea looks fun. We finally sold our ice cream maker because we only used it once after 5 years of marriage- Braums is so much better! (and easier)
ReplyDelete