I'm trying to start a new habit of going on a walk everyday. This allows the boys and myself to get some fresh air, soak up some rays, and tricks me into thinking that a walk around the block counts as exercise. James usually falls asleep soon after we begin our journey and--as long as the sun stays out of his eyes--he is content. William has started to love these walks. First thing this morning--before he was even dressed--he told me "Spiderman shoes! Go on walk." As we begin our trek around the block we pass our neighbors house--William always tells me "need rock". They have a ton of those little white rocks--the kind that we used to write on the sidewalk with as kids. I really ought to buy some of those rocks to replace the 20 or so that we picked up. On our Sunday afternoon stroll William saw his shadow and was making shadow puppets as we walked. Cute. Next we see little frogs. I'm talking itty-bitty. William likes to try and touch them and follow them around for a while. He can spot them everywhere! Even when they blend in perfectly with the pile of dirt they are sitting in. (Those little spots in the pictures really are frogs!)
We spy every puppy along the way... and as long as they stay enclosed in their yards we are all smiles. (We had an encounter with a dog the other day which had William jumping into my arms and clinging on for dear life.) We don't just stop for frogs, dogs, rocks, and shadows. William finds wonder in just about anything. Everything is "so cool, mom." Birds, bugs, butterflies, bugs, pine cones, bugs, water puddles... nothing escapes his notice. And ya know... these things really are amazing. What a wonderful world we live in with such diversity and beauty! Seeing the world through the eyes of 2-year-old is a great reminder of the beautiful place in which we live.

We spy every puppy along the way... and as long as they stay enclosed in their yards we are all smiles. (We had an encounter with a dog the other day which had William jumping into my arms and clinging on for dear life.) We don't just stop for frogs, dogs, rocks, and shadows. William finds wonder in just about anything. Everything is "so cool, mom." Birds, bugs, butterflies, bugs, pine cones, bugs, water puddles... nothing escapes his notice. And ya know... these things really are amazing. What a wonderful world we live in with such diversity and beauty! Seeing the world through the eyes of 2-year-old is a great reminder of the beautiful place in which we live.

Aren't walks the greatest? I'm glad you're enjoying yours! And those tiny frogs are awesome! I remember discovering some very similar ones on a trip to Nauvoo when I was younger. I remember being so amazed that 1) such tiny frogs even existed, and 2) that they just lived in the grass. Pretty cool.
ReplyDeleteYeah - loved the frogs!!! Lucy would go nuts! And your comments about seeing the world through the eyes of a two year old - AMEN! It does bring everything to life and help you to notice the beautiful details! Love you, Jeanine!
ReplyDeleteoh how fun! i definitely think a walk around the block counts as exercise! And we heard from Elise...that's exciting that she will be here...do I hear a reunion in Vegas next year?
ReplyDeleteSo far that's one of the only benefits of living here...we don't have any really cool frogs, but we do live in a place that a lot of people visit. And that's worth the lack of trees to me!
Lindsay... yeah I love the little frogs! Sad story: when we lived in Florida when we were little we had the little frogs everywhere. Amy and I decided to keep one as a pet (so it wouldn't die in pool from chlorine). So we kept in a fish tank. One day it was missing and we couldn't find it... until my mom was vacuuming some time later. She found it under the window sill-- nice and crispy! So so sad.
ReplyDeleteLori: I love you too!
Amy Jean: I'm glad that Elise got in touch with you! Reunion in Vegas? Hmmm... that's a great idea! I would love it.