Today as I baked some blackberry cobbler I popped a CD into the player. As I listened to the fun sounds of Colors it took me back to another time... a time of building Mesopotamian fortresses in the living room and dancing on the kitchen table. Of sneaking freshly baked cookies into the library, apartment goals, and scavenger hunts. Of election night dinners (red, white, and blue), fajita nights, and celebrating hump days. Of pulling all-nighters, performing at the ward talent show (Dear John anyone?), and dance parties in the lobby. Of Lavina C. Fugal Hall and Southridge. Isn't it amazing that a song (or a CD full of them) can trigger memories like that? There are songs that remind me of church dances, sitting in Traci's car before school, singing with Katie at the Life Care Center, and even of being stood up. Songs that remind me of Rich--sentimental songs that remind me of our courtship or other songs that have become inside jokes. I'm so grateful for these memories and the songs that trigger them. To quote ABBA: Who could live without it, I ask in all honesty What would life be? Without a song or a dance what are we? So I say thank you for the music for giving it to me!
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

oh, fajita nights. I miss those days at fugal hall. I miss the sleep overs in the lobby and water baloons off the top. Getting up early to watch the sunrise and biking over to see you when I didnt live there anymore. I really miss you weiners. I want to see you and your little babies!
ReplyDeleteJeanine, this made me get teary-eyed! SO MANY GREAT MEMORIES! I'm going to have to copy this off and file it with our blog files. Thanks so much for writing this! Made me miss you tons! So beautifully written, love. You're amazing!!
ReplyDeleteOh the memories! I'm so glad I got to be a part of some of those memories. Cookies in the library--that was such a fun night. And music does have an amazing way of holding them.
ReplyDeleteI can't even begin to name the memories that Colors gives me...or any song...thank goodness for Ipods...I think I'm going to go listen to them right now!
ReplyDeleteAgreed! Music can bring back many memories!! I am glad I burned so many cd's in college, so that I can pop one in and it is like looking through an imaginary photo album.
ReplyDeleteJeanine....you impress me so much. I wish I could start my blog with "today as I baked some blackberry cobbler..." you inspire me! Can you send me the recipe?? I would love to try to make it!
ReplyDeleteI love that about music, too. I had roommates who liked Colors...I think they even dragged me to a concert. I never jumped on the Colors bandwagon I'm afraid.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Traci. How do you find the time and energy to be such a model homemaker? What I want to know is why Traci isn't inspired by me coloring on my kids bellies.
Haha... Katie and Traci I have you two fooled. I am a far cry from a model homemaker. The only reason I was making the cobbler was for someone at Rich's work. (The recipe is super simple, I'll email it to you Traci) And Katie... I am inspired by your tummy drawings. I'm not THAT fun of a mom!
ReplyDeleteOh the memories indeed! Doesn't seem all that long ago, but what has it been, 6 years or so? Crazy!
ReplyDeleteOh, I miss our apartment! I always think of you and Lori and Heather every time I put in my Colors CD. I try not to think of that Valentine's Day when you all accompanied me on my date with Brandon and sang the background music...! I'm so glad we had such an awesome apartment!
ReplyDelete