*artwork by KatieJeanneReim found on Etsy For some reason James thought it would be LOTS of fun to wake up in the middle of the night and play for a while. No. Longer than "a while"... closer to 4 hours! He talked to himself, found toys to play with, read some books... We tried everything we could think of to get him to settle down. Whatever we tried, James found hilarious. Finally, I just had to sit on the floor next to his bed and watch him until he fell asleep (if I laid down he would jump up and start the craziness again.) Rich and I were exhausted yesterday morning... he got less sleep than I did.
This boy has the silliest sleep/bedtime habits. For instance, when we first got the bunk beds, he thought it was fun to climb up onto the top bunk and fall asleep. We often found him there during nap time.
At bedtime we always put William to sleep first. One night we heard James laughing hysterically. We later found that he would climb up the ladder and beat on William. William is such a heavy sleeper that he would never wake up! James thought it was hilarious to beat on his brother when he was defenseless.
His newest thing is turning on the lights. Again, it's a good thing that William is a heavy sleeper. He used to get whatever he could find to stand on to reach the lights. When we took all those things out of the room, he discovered he could stand on his tiptoes and still reach the switch. He really is too smart for his own good. Most of the time when we open the door to turn the lights off he's on his bed reading books (one of his new loves).
I wonder what he'll come up with next.

That makes for a long night for mom! I am sure pregnant momma is exhausted all the next day as well! I am feelin' for you!
ReplyDeleteMan! That is crazy! And tough for you. I am glad that William is a heavy sleeper too. Good luck with James' sleeping habits!
ReplyDeleteoh boy... i feel your pain. hoefully his sleep habits will get a little better when the baby arrives! He sounds like a funny kid though!
ReplyDeleteWhat a funny boy.
ReplyDeleteOh man. Sharing a room is good for so many things, but there are times it can be SO rough. You are lucky William sleeps so well. Parker woke up at 4:30 this morning...for the day. And consequently woke Reid, too. I tried to coax them back to bed. They laid there until 5:00 and were up for the day. So was I. Of course it had to be the day my to do list is three miles long. I'm exhausted. Gray is my lightest sleeper. It's best he doesn't share a room with those two crazies.
ReplyDeleteThat is too funny. Hannah does that sometimes too, only not for 4 hours. But we do have to turn her light off from the chain on the ceiling fan because otherwise she will get out of bed and turn it on and play.
ReplyDeleteJames is a funny boy. He reminds me a lot of you at that age---but you never spent 4 hours playing in the middle of the night. At least not that I knew about.
ReplyDeleteOh James- what will you do next- I know that you next baby will be a better sleeper because that is what I keep telling myself!!! The next one will be an angel!! I just know it!! Ha ha- good luck with it all.
ReplyDeleteThat is funny that James plays with William when he is asleep. Very fortuitous that William can sleep through it.
ReplyDeleteSounds like that kid has more energy than he knows what to do with. Maybe you should create a danger-free room where he can run around and play at night for as long as he wants.
ReplyDeleteWhat a funny kid! Although I am sure you were not laughing for four hours. You were good to stay by him I would have just gone back to bed and let him figure it out. That is great William is such a heavy sleeper. Hopefully that doesn't happen again anytime soon.
ReplyDeleteUm, four hours in the middle of the night is pretty much an eternity!! James, you are a silly (although DALRING) boy! Here's to sleep, eh?!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to know we are not the only parents with a toddler who don't get much sleep. Emily has been getting four molars so it has made for many sleepless nights lately.
ReplyDeleteI totally remember you. In fact I blog stock you sometimes. And I look at Amy's all the time. (although it is you I know and not her)I would have said something sooner but I didn't think you would remember me. :0)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the ideas. I will totally send you the files when I am done. I think it is going to be so helpful.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteyay you posted about it! James is just the silliest boy EVER!
ReplyDelete