Sunday, July 5, 2015

Quick trip to California

Since Elise and her family were going to be in California for a few weeks I was persuaded to make the drive down to Brea to visit with her.  It was a very quick trip but totally worth it!  We drove down Thursday and met up with Elise near Corona (where I snagged some Miguels Jr.  yum!).  After we stretched our legs we drove out to Brea to stay at Grandpa's house for a few days.  The big entertainment was Grandpa's big chair and the exercise bike.


That evening we ordered some pizzas and hung out.  Elise and I, of course, stayed up way too late visiting with each other.

Friday morning we packed up a lunch and headed over to visit Grandpa over at Craig (aka Greatest Uncle Craig or Greatest Craig as he told the boys they could call him) and Connie's house.  It was nice to visit with him although I'm not sure he remembered who we were.  I introduced my kids to him again (the boys have met him a few different times).  When I got to Lydia and explained that her middle name was Marie he lit up.  It was about the only time he smiled while we were there.



Craig and his family had gone for the weekend but he had offered the use of his pool while we were there.  It was a chilly overcast morning but the boys still decided that they wanted to hop in for a bit.



William even gave Caden a little ride around the pool.



I just loved Craig's backyard.  So many pretty plants.






Henry was obsessed with the lemons (me too!).  I told him he could pick just one.  It smelled so good!




Later during the day we took some pictures. It was fun to think how many times I had posed in this same spot with my sisters.


And my cousins.



We took a walk over to Target to pick up a few things... but mostly to show the boys the awesome cart escalator.  (And Lydia had her first "big girl" ride in the cart.



We had a fun time playing outside--just the way my cousins and I used to.








And, after explaining to the boys about how we used to pick boysenberries and eat them, we found a few little survivors.




Friday night Elise and Austin had dinner with an oral surgeon so I got to watch their boys.  We ate the rest of our pizza and watched Big Hero 6.



And after the movie we had drumsticks in the backyard.  (Elise and I had earlier told them how we used to always check Grandma's big freezer for treats.)



While I put the little boys to bed I let William and James play outside.  They thought they were pretty cool getting to stay up a little later and play outside in the dark.


Vance was the last man standing... and he fell asleep mid-diaper change while I was texting Elise.



 Again, Elise and I stayed up so late talking!  But we had fun.  The next day I had to head back early so that William could attend a birthday party.  Before we left we had to take pictures...

The sisters with their babies.



 And the entire group!


 The trip was much too short but we sure had a good time visiting with Elise's family!

5 comments:

  1. How fun!! Good memories. You look so tan! Guess Las Vegas has done you good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you and Elise were able to get together and share your childhood memories with your children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! What a nostalgic trip 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, Lydia has some gorgeous eyes! Looks like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely trip. Reading this makes me wish I could have been there too. I think it's so nice that you and Elise were able to meet up. That's so sweet to hear how Grandpa lit up at the mention of Lydia's middle name.

    ReplyDelete