Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Spring Break: Historic Railroad Tunnel Trail hike

Most of our Spring Break was spent hanging around the house because  Alex was sick.  We did manage to get out on Saturday and go on a hike.  There was a company sponsored hike down in Boulder City so we decided to tag along on that.  It is a pretty easy and unique hike.

We had a great view of Lake Mead the entire time.



I always love the wildflowers in the desert.  There is something extra beautiful about something that can bloom where not much else can.




This trail is the only remaining section of the Hoover Dam Railroad that is not destroyed or under water.  It is really pretty cool to walk through those tunnels.


The boys found these crazy bugs and needed to take pictures of them.



We made it through the first tunnel!






For such an easy hike the boys sure were extra whiney that day.  In fact, not many of them made it to the end of the hike.  William, Lydia, and I kept at it though.  William kept grabbing my camera to take pictures of things he found interesting.



William climbed up these jagged rocks overlooking the lake...



And we made it to the end (the Hoover Dam parking garage)!  William thought it looked like it could be a prison with the barbed wire.



Eventually we found the rest of the boys waiting for us.  We even saw a bat fly out of the tunnel!


When we were nearly done with the hike I realized that I didn't have my phone anymore!  I had it in a pocket of the baby carrier and when I took Lydia out it fell without me noticing.  I felt so bad.  I kept going with the boys until we got to the car while Rich ran back to find it.  Luckily, another hiker saw it and picked it up.  Rich called my phone, he picked up and they were able to meet up and get the phone back.  Hooray!  It was an answer to prayers.  We played a guessing game to see how long it would take Rich to get back to the car once we made it and it was less than 10 minutes... he was so fast!  Plus, we were watching The Lego Movie in the car so it seemed like no time at all.

We will have to go back here again sometime--when everyone is in a better mood and can make it to the end.

3 comments:

  1. Those are crazy looking bugs! So glad you found your phone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Lydia, and William making it the whole way. I'm so glad you found your phone!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Lydia, and William making it the whole way. I'm so glad you found your phone!!

    ReplyDelete