Saturday, August 25, 2007

listen to your grandma...

I remember making cookies with my grandma, sneaking some of the dough and being scolded. "There's raw egg in that," I was told. "You'll get sick." If only I had listened. (Of course I remember seeing grandma sneak some one day and she said "Even grandma's need a treat sometimes.") Thursday night Rich and decided that we needed a treat so half a batch of cookie dough was promptly mixed up. Boy was it yummy! We watched a show and played a game--all while snacking on this uncooked treat. By bedtime I wasn't feeling so good but I blamed it on the fact that I ate a TON. I won't go into details but by 3 or 4 in the morning I felt like I was dying. Around 10 0'clock Rich had caught up to me. We were two sick puppies. Thank goodness for Rich's mom who watched our boys while we slept at her house all day. And the boys were so good! They both slept all night long and when William woke up this morning he just played by himself instead of waking us. The think the worst is past but you won't find us eating cookie dough anytime soon!

14 comments:

  1. That's awful! Not a huge fan, myself.

    My mom used to say it was 'dough-gotty'. Don't know what that was, but it was enough of a deterent for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA.. Dan and I have this debate all the time and now I have a true case to use as my defense. I don't like cookie dough but he does and I always have to tell him about how it will make you sick. thanks for sharing. !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a cookie dough lover myself and not at all afraid of the raw eggs. But I've never known anyone to actually get sick from it... especially that sick. Nasty!

    I fed cookie dough to the young women one night for our treats. We had a girl bonding night so that was refreshments...only I used store bought cookie dough so it didn't have the raw eggs. I hope you're back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually in the middle of making cookies right now. I have always hated the dough and always smack Camerons hand when he tries to sneak some away. Ill have him read your blog and see if it changes his mind about the raw eggs! I hope you get better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jeanine! How aweful!!! Thanks for sharing your experience so that we can all wisen up about our cookie dough intake!!! Love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes. No more cookie dough for me. It's one of those warnings we don't heed until we know 'someone' it happened to. Hope you are all feeling better. Yeah for good kids. I wonder if they have a sixth sense about when the ABSOLUTELY had better behave...

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sorry! that's crazy...I haven't eaten raw cookie dough in years (not since it became a bartering tool in southridge). I was just thinking that I missed it, but now I'm going to re-think that. So excited to have 1 Fisher sister with me today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! What a tragic story. Both for you and Rich's health, and the future of my cookie dough intake. Hope you're both feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all your well-wishes. I am feeling well today (well enough to get me and the boys to church)... Rich is still recovering. But by the time I got home from church he seemed a TON better (maybe he just didn't want to go to church j/k)! So lesson learned... no more cookie dough!
    And Carrie... I'm pretty sure that kids KNOW when they have to behave. The better Rich and I feel the crazier the boys seem to get. They're almost back to being their needy selves again!
    Amy... I'm so jealous that Elise is there with you! No fair! I hope that everything worked out. I heard that there was a delay. Thanks for taking care of them! (Elise keeps telling me "Thanks for having such cool friends")

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! I hope you're feeling much better. Thank goodness you had reinforcements.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know if I can make the same commitment everyone else in this blog has made--my sister got food poisoning from cookie dough some years ago, but I can't help myself (just little bits, of course!). Maybe when I start feeling like I'm going to die (which I've definitely experienced from food poisoning before!) I'll change my ways.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really should be more careful. I eat raw cookie dough, brownie dough, you name it...all the time. Sometimes my stomach does hurt afterwards, but now I am thinking I should really be more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sad. I love, Love, LOVE cookie dough! I think it's genetic: my mom loves cookie dough so much that once, when she was instructing my sister in the recipe for cookies, she included the step to "Bring Mom a bowl of cookie dough and a spoon," which went right after mixing in the chocolate chips and right before putting them in the oven. :) Good stuff. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No way! I've never known anyone to actually get sick from it! I'm sorry--that is the absolute pits. When you are both sick together it's nice in one way because you can lie there together, and feel TOTAL empathy! But mostly it's terrible because you can't take care of each other! I have to say, if you can in fact get sick from the raw eggs-which you now have evidence of-it seems like I should have been sick a dozen times by now. Taylor and I OFTEN make dough just to eat, without even bothering to turn the oven on. And I have to say, even with the risks, I probably won't stop. (I know! Talk about not learning from others!)

    ReplyDelete