Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I recommend...

Whenever Rich is out of town I like to buy a treat for myself to eat after the boys go to sleep--a kind of reward for making it to the end of the day on my own. Yesterday I was running errands and listening to the radio. I don't even remember what I was listening to but they started talking about Twinkies. I thought to myself, "That sounds so good!" Weird. I don't think I've had a Twinkie in 10 years and I know I've never bought them in my life. Until yesterday. I don't know what overcame me but I couldn't resist that golden sponge cake with a creamy filling! I recommend eating them with some fresh strawberries. So, while I don't usually recommend Twinkies I thought I'd take the chance to share with you some things that I rather enjoy. It's quite a random list of things but here it goes:

Shaklee Basic H--since everyone seems to be "eco-conscious" these days this should be popular. Not only is it organic but you can use it for ANYTHING! Seriously. From cleaning windows and carpets to washing your produce. And it comes super concentrated so it lasts forever.







pinch bowls--I totally made fun of Rich when he added these to our wedding registry. Actually he only registered for one.... luckily we received more than that. They ended up being really useful. I love to put toppings in them. If we are having tacos or something they are the perfect size to put tomatoes, sour cream, olives, etc. in and don't take up much room on the table. Everyone should have a few pinch bowls around the house. (And if you're in a crazy mood you could use them like you're on a cooking show with all your ingredients pre-measured... ha!)


apple peeler corer slicer--In high school, before I ran off to seminary, I would use this baby for one last snack to eat on the way to the church. William loves to turn the crank to cut his own apple too! And in college when I made apple pies (and I made way too many my freshman year) it took me forever to peel and slice all my apples. This handy dandy contraption saves me tons of time! (Thanks mom for getting it for me!)



Organic Mother's Milk tea--For those of you who nurse their babies (and I know a lot of pregnant women right now) you might want to try this. My sister, Amy, recommended it to me who heard about it from her mid-wife. It's awesome! You only drink it for the first week or so. (It doesn't taste bad... a little like black licorice.) With William I produced way too much milk and was engorged.... Then with James I heard about this tea and never had a single problem. I hope that wasn't too much info... but I had to recommend it!




magic eraser-- I know just about everyone uses these or at least has heard of them... but for the few of you who don't this product is amazing! It really is magic!











Scripture Scouts--We used to listen to these all the time as a kid. They're all about Skyler, Sue, Baby, and Boo (the dog) and the adventures they have in their tree house as they discover the stories in the Book of Mormon. (They also have Old and New Testament and recently I've seen one on the Proclamation but have never heard it.) They sing songs and tell the stories in a way that kids understand them--and remember them. When I was in Old Testament at BYU I used to sing the songs for my roommate (who was also in the class). Wes, I think I sang a Scripture Scouts song on a tape for you on your mission--how embarrassing! I didn't even know you yet! Anyway, I got them for this last Christmas and have listened to them a few times with William. His favorite one so far is about heroes... Ammon, in particular. Be warned they might be a little cheesy for your taste--I don't think Jeff or Rich care for them.


Charlie and Lola--This is the cutest little show ever! My sister-in-law bought it in the $5 movie bin at Wal-mart. I love it! It's all about this boy Charlie who has this little sister Lola. She is small and very funny. He uses his imagination to help her in all kinds of things. And the theme song is so great that you'll be whistling it all day long.





Tadoodles
--These are the coolest little stampers. I found these on clearance at Target a few months back. William has a great time stamping away and I don't have to worry about ink getting all over his hands or my house!







freezing meals--Some days you just don't feel like cooking. That's when it's nice to have some frozen meals. We don't eat a whole ton at our house and recipes often make more than we want for dinner and/or leftovers. Sometimes I'll freeze them. It's so nice to have a quick, easy, homemade meal.



cookie dough balls--We can never eat a whole batch of cookies at our house before they start to get stale. So I usually bake a few and then freeze the rest of the dough into balls. That way we can pop in a few balls whenever the mood hits us and we have fresh from the oven cookies!


If you are a salt lover like myself then you have to try Real Salt. It is so much better than your regular table salt... and healthier too. Trust me.





What do you recommend?

21 comments:

  1. That was fun!!!! I love freezing meals! There is something gratifying about having dinner ready with no effort that day!

    One of my favorite household things is clorox toilet wands. I have discussed before how I hate toilet bowl cleaners (gross), toilet wands come with cleaner in the wand and you throw it away when done!! Perfect!

    PS Love the magic eraser, but i am cheap and use the walmart brand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list. Don't forget Basic H is great for healing burns too. I've never tried the magic eraser but have always wanted to. I was always afraid to try them on my walls with flat paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great recommendations. I remember scripture scouts, but I think we only had the demo tape of moms giving their "testimonials" through out the songs. I still loved it though. I can't believe you like Charlie and Lola- I thought that show was so annoying because Lola was a spaz and a brat, but maybe I should get it a second chance. Amen to the magic eraser- I don't know what I would do without them! Oxyclean is also a must. Have you tried those quaker mini-delights? I bought the caramel ones and they are surprisingly good- a lot come in each package too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traci... yes, no effort meals are my favorite!

    Amy... I don't think I knew that Basic H helped burns... have you tried it? And magic erasers can be used on anything! I've used it on William's desk to get marker off. I use it in my bathroom sinks. I've even used them on shoes (the white part) to make them all new looking.

    Melissa... I can't believe you didn't like Charlie and Lola! You have to try it again. Rich walks around whistling the theme song. And Oxyclean IS a must! I love it. I'll have to try the mini-delights. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recommendations! I love the magic eraser. When nothing else would clean my kitchen floor, that would! Love it!

    Thanks for the words of encouragement to get mya ct together and get back to blogging. And the reason why we didn't do Winter Quarters is because we did it on the way out to Boston. We visited the temple and visitor center on the day the Willy and Martin Handcart companies left for SLC. They had a big barbeque and pulling hand carts, the whole bit. I will let Traci know too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! I've got to go dig out that tape we sent to Wes! I totally remember the Scripture Scout songs!

    Love this list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the Scripture Scouts. I especially remember the song about Wicked King Noah. I also love the cookie balls. Baking 2 or 3 when I'm in the mood is a good idea. My problem is that I would probably just start eating the frozen dough and never get around to baking them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are WAY too popular. You posted yesterday and you already have 7 posts! you're crazy. FYI: ever since your BYU post I've been getting comments from random people on our blog, like Pennie Rendfelt/Gunnel, and Sister Holmes. Kind of funny. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know about Basic H helping burns either. I'll have to try the magic eraser on my shoes. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment is about five years too late, but I remember you mentioning the pinch bowls when you were registering. Awesome to hear you got them and love them. I told Marji we needed them but couldn't find them.

    We like to use Simple Green around here. It claims to be biodegradable and does a great job cleaning anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your list!!! I don't like to use salt when we go out to eat because it isn't Real Salt and it just tastes different. I LOVE essential oils. (They help with pretty much any physical or emotional problem.) Tonight Rachelle asked me which ones she should use to help her not be nervous and focus better on the AP test tomorrow. She is going to take them to school and use them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's so cute that when your husband is out of town, you buy yourself twinkies. Love the pinch bowls. I recently bought some green ones and I wish I had more. I'm definitely going to try the real salt. I love salt...healthier sounds nice. I didn't know you could still get scripture scouts...annoying, yes, but I sing the songs to my boys when we have scripture time. I'm a huge believer in music helping you learn.

    good list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For anyone interested, Deseret Book is the only place I know to get Scripture Scouts. (You can order online.) Jacob loves them. He knows the scripture stories so well and I think alot is because he listens to Scripture Scouts everytime we are in the car and lots of times when we are home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, what a fun list. I have nothing to recommend other than oh! the spray n wash/oxi clean stain remover...it has yet to meet a stain it couldn't get out...including dried blood. I love it! and I love the cookie dough idea. that's awesome

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woo Hoo Girl, you ARE popular. This was great. It made me realize that I should pay more attention to my fav's. I have always relied on Biz for a good stain remover, or laundry enhancer.

    I am amazed that anyone has left over cookie dough...not at my house for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Shaklee. We also have their window shammy thing- AMAZING! Magic erasers, having been blogged about at our place, are a must for a mother with young kids!

    Loved the list and am going to attempt the frozen cookie dough... although we usually don't have trouble eating a whole batch ourselves, but maybe we should!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the apple peeler. I don't have one like that...but my parents do. We used it all the time to prepare apples to bake in a pie or dry in our dehydrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE the Magic Eraser too! And I just did a whole post on cookie dough - great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice list. I love the little bowls. We have some and they are so handy. I will have to try some of those other things (the heavy duty magic eraser is a lot better in that you can use it for all the same stuff but it lasts a lot longer before falling apart)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the list! I always like to hear what other moms are using - it gives me ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, nice list. I will try the Basic H... never heard of it, but sounds great! I just got Scripture Scouts as a gift for Kayla... can't wait to have her hear them!

    ReplyDelete