Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Potty Training: Day 1

Potty training has been a success... so far, so good. I don't know what either of us was so nervous about! Here is what our day included:
* Zero accidents
*Numerous jelly beans (for his "dry pants" checks)
*Stickers galore (for going potty in the toilet)
*Expressions like "My underwear is so cool!" and "I love my nighttime underwear" (aka pull ups) and "Why does my nighttime underwear look like a diaper?" and "Bye bye poop!" (as we flush the toilet)
*Lots of smiles and hugs
*Even a trip to Target... which included a trip to the bathroom with Dad. A trip to Target may not be a big deal to most of you but ours is a 20 minute car ride each way!
*The purchase of a toilet seat and more underwear

And this morning he woke up perfectly dry. In just a bit we're headed to story time so we'll see how we do. Hooray for William!!! You're a pro already. We're so proud of you!

17 comments:

  1. Cheers for William and Mommy! With 6 boys, I know this drill well. Heidi was my only child who at 2 years old said "mommy, I want to be a big girl and go potty in the toilet". That was fab. My pediatrician told me, don't worry, he won't be going to kindergarten in a diaper...No worries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job William! I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's great Jeanine. William's comments made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go William!! Jeanine, how old is he again? Derek doesn't have much interest in the toilet yet. He'll sit on it because he thinks it's fun, and once in awhile go potty... but not often at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Sounds like you're on a roll! I hope it continues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go William!

    I swear potty training an older one is the way to go. I was so frustrated when Parker was 3 1/2 and not potty trained. But he trained in a snap. Now Reid wants to do it at 27 months old and it's tough. He can't do it by himself. It's so much harder. I'm ready to give up and make him wait until he's 3 1/2.

    I hope things continue to move forward. sounds like they will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Less diapers to buy! That is great! I have been not sure when to start the whole potty training with Hannah. She is only 19 months old. Our next baby is due nov 23 and she will be 24 months then. At first I was thinking oh great, gotta get her out of diapers by that time, but now it seems i may be wrong. I am hearing 3 is more of the magic number. Congrats to william!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang! What an awesome kid! I have always heard that when a kid is ready to potty train he will do it, there is no use pressuring them. Sounds like William was ready!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm impressed that he made it through the night. Hunter's been potty trained during the day for awhile now, but we haven't even attempted the night. His dipers are still too full in the morning for me to even want to try. But that is so exciting for William. Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! "Why does my nighttime underwear look like a diaper?" So funny! Way to go William.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WAH HOO!! Tell him that Josh says great job! Welcome to the "big boys" club!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the "why does my nighttime underwear look like a diaper" comment too. He he! Love you William! Glad you're doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, you're like a professional mom! good ideas for potty motivation! i'll have to remember all the things you teach us for a couple years down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go William! I have not had to experience this yet with kids of my own, but I have helped a friend potty train and I know the feeling with the stickers, candy... and just being so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY! Isn't it great! Go William! :) (And mommy...) This all sounds too familiar.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aha! I thought you posted about potty training once upon a time. Thanks for the tips. I need all that I can get.

    ReplyDelete