Saturday, November 8, 2008

the magic kiss


When I was a little girl and we needed to wake up my Grandpa Allred, my mom would tell us that the only way was to kiss him on the cheek. We would try other things but the kiss was the only thing that ever worked. And why wouldn't it? It worked for Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, right?

So when I got tired of being woken up by whining and poking and my eyelids being pried open, I told William that the sure-fire way to wake me up was with a kiss. It worked especially nice in the beginning because I could lay there, pretending to be asleep, for just a few more minutes until he remembered the secret. Now, however, he usually comes in, plants a big wet one on my cheek and asks, ever so sweetly, "Mom, can you please get me some more milk?"

This past week we were all feeling pretty crummy so when James stumbled into our room in the middle of the night I just let him crawl into bed--not something I usually do. Some time later I was aroused from my slumber by someone pulling on my pajama leg. I chose to ignore it. I was exhausted! But then I felt two little lips kissing my cheek! James must have seen William do it a few times and knew that it worked!

And so I continue in the tradition of my favorite fairy tale princess. Besides, who doesn't want to be woken up by the kiss of a prince (or two)?

16 comments:

  1. Great thinking Jeanine! You really do have the sweetest boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember that story about grandpa. I love the idea though. I think we'll try it...if we remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how sweet it that. I love it. I think I will be using that one when Jackson understands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute, I might have to steal that idea. But then again, connor always lets me sleep in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my! that is the sweetest thing I have ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute story. I would like to try that one with my little one, but our bed is pretty high so she can barely climb up to it, let alone kiss me from a standing position. Cute fairytale story though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is too cute! I think that is a fabulous idea! You kids are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute! Jeff wanted me to say that I don't like being woken up by a kiss, but really I just don't like being woken up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is sure sweet! How can you say no to that??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good idea...such a sweet mommy wake-up call :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is so sweet- I need to train Josh to do that...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's how my boys wake me up too! It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is cute. You are raising these boys to be perfect princes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jeanine - we are totally the same!!!! We taught Megan to do that too and it's so fun to lay down and pretend to be asleep so I can get a kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post! Derek's been coming into our bed in the middle of night-ever since we switched him out of the crib to a toddler bed. I love it, but he is a bed hog!

    ReplyDelete