Tuesday, November 4, 2008

climbing on up

While we were in California, James learned how to open doors and climb in and out of cribs.

This did not make for good naps while we were there. I didn't think it would be a problem when we got home because his crib is bigger and our door knobs are harder to open. Boy was I wrong! Within 5 minutes of putting him in his crib at home he was out and had the door open. And so, this past weekend we bought this:

I have to brag on myself. I put the entire thing together by myself (except for some heavy lifting from Rich and minor help from William). Yeah, I'm awesome.

So far it's working out great. William loves sleeping on the top bunk. Even during the day he asks if he can go lay down on the top bunk. This coming from a boy who quit his naps 1 1/2 years ago. He's always playing "pirate ship" up there. He's always asking if James can go up there too... and that makes me nervous. James is just too crazy. (Just this week he chipped his tooth on the bathtub.) I'm certain that James will fall off the top. Please pray that he doesn't.

18 comments:

  1. yea for bunk beds. I think every child should have a bunk bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted a bunk bed when I was growing up. However, when I realized that wouldn't happen, I informed my parents that I would just get one after I got married; I would sleep on the top, and my husband could sleep on the bottom.

    Hope the bunk beds work out well for you and that no one gets hurt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you put those together yourself, that's impressive.

    I thought Macey was crazy, but she can't get out of crib without a bumper to stand on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bunkbeds! You have always been good at putting things together and using tools. Good for you. You are one handy woman. I would worry about James too. He isn't afraid of anything (including falling from high places.) The only thing I don't like about bunk beds is changing the sheets on the top bunk. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I have been thinking about putting jackson in a big boy bed... not sure when to do it though.
    You are awesome for putting it together. I put Jackson's crib together too. but that huge bunk bed... you are good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny, I just converted Olivia's crib to a toddler bed yesterday because of the same thing.

    I love the bunk bed. James is scaring me just being at the top in the picture! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute bunk bed. Great job putting it together. Way to go! Does James stay in his bed at night or does he get out? I'm still trying to convince Olivia that she can get out of her bed in the morning instead of her yelling for me to come and get her. Do you like having the extra room in the boys room now? Your boys are getting so big.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He seems too little to be climbing out of his crib already! That is always a hard transition for me, naptimes become so much more difficult. Good Luck!
    The bed looks awesome, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bunk bed! I think I'll keep Derek in his toddler bed until the nameless boy twin needs to be out of his crib, then we'll get a bunk bed. Little boys just love bunk beds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great bed and a big boy bed for James even!?? Wow! Way to go and put it together yourself! Wahoo! I bet you didn't even have to take it apart 3 times like I always do when I put something together. It looks great and it sure is a great pirate ship!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice bunkeah, boys are a little crazier on elevated things, I will so keep them in my prayers! bed. Y

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember falling off bunk beds when I was little. I don't think it did too much damage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sister girls have bunk beds, they love it! I think all kids do!! Congrats on putting it together by yourself! I'm always so proud when I do things like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, also....Bonnie has chipped both her front teeth, cut up her lip a dozen times, and just recently cut her chin that left a scar! She is a crazy one too!!! Or maybe she is just really clumsy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun for the boys. Megan has launched herself out of her crib in anger about a month back(totally freaky for me to have watched), but so far hasn't tried to climb out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wait a minute- I was thinking about this last night- are you making room for something.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad Emma hasn't figured out how to get out of her crib or open doors yet. Smart boy though he sounds very rambunctious. I was proud of my self for putting together (or at least 90% of it) a little tikes car, and then I see you put a bunkbed together you put me to shame. I love the bunk bed.

    ReplyDelete