Thursday, December 4, 2008

crunch!

For about a month now we have been having a mouse problem. When I'm sitting in a quiet house (which isn't too often) I can sometime hear something crawling around the ceiling. I often find a mouse dropping or two on my canned food in the garage. Rich and I have both seen it scurry away. So a few weeks back I bought some mouse traps. I didn't want to see a dead mouse though. Lucky for me they make some where the mouse crawls in and is trapped so you never have to see it... just throw the whole thing away. Well, this mouse is smart and wasn't going for it. In fact, he mocked me by leaving a dropping on top of the trap!
On Tuesday I was getting the boys ready for storytime. I had just finished strapping in James and was walking around the car to buckle William. Rounding the front of the car I saw something from the corner of my eye and then heard a CRUNCH as I took another step. I figured that I had smooshed a cricket and turned to see. Boy was I wrong! It was the mouse!!! Seriously, I couldn't have done that if I tried! I felt so bad as it convulsed around and started bleeding. Hurrying, I scooped it up with some old magazines and threw it in the trash. It was awful! I realize that I wanted to kill it in the first place--but not like that! I know I'm crazy, but I still feel bad when I think of it.... but at least it's not living in my house (or garage) anymore.

18 comments:

  1. That's pretty gross Jeanine. I'm sorry you had that experience. If you continue to have mouse problems (chances are if there is one there will be more) you should buy this poison, the name of which I have no idea. But we used it at one of the houses I lived in as a college student, and it worked great. What happens is the mouse eats some of the poison, but it makes them really thirsty or something, so ideally they go outside to look for water. Then the water combined with the poison they ate kills them. Something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww, yucky! I'm with you... I wouldn't want a mouse around, but I feel a little bad when we have to kill them. At least it wasn't inside your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do'h- I HATE mice. We had one in our house in Tulsa and I never found it. I hated seeing things chewed up and little mouse poops- ew- it gives me the hebbie jebbies. My sister told me those super sticky traps are the best for mice because I was always afraid to use them because I didn't want to see it dead (or almost dead). When I read you story I thought you has said that you stepped on the mouse! But it was just a trap, right? Oh I'm glad you caught it- well not that you had to dispose of it, but at least it is out of the house. Oh and thanks for letting me know about the YW news! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa... I DID step on the mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is so gross. I don't know if I could ever wear those shoes again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YIKES... I would have FREAKED! You handled that well. Hoepfully thats the end of your mouse problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GROSS!! I would not have handled that well. I would have just driven off and made my hubby get it when he got home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. EWWWWWWWWWW...stepping on a mouse is gross! Must have been a sick mouse if it didn't get out of your way when you were walking through your garage. Hope you don't find any more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a crazy story, I wouldn't have wanted it to go down that way either.
    Congrats on baby #3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AHHHHHH!!!! You really did!!! WOW!!! But you are too skinny how could you have killed it! OH THAT IS SO GROSS! I'm SO sorry!! and why didn't you snap a picture for the blog- TOTALLY kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeanine, you can tell me all about your drs appointments, you can tell me gory details of labor and deliveries, but please do not ever repeat this story! Yuck! Okay, I'm not that grossed out, but pretty close!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THis is exactly how I feel!! We had mouse problems in Clevlend and I hated killing them but I wanted them gone!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really have to try to mouse poisen. It works great. The mice really do go outside to die. Just be sure and put it up high or something so your boys don't get into it. There is a chance you may have more mice. Good luck. I hate mice. Do you remember when we had mice problems when we lived in Texas. It was awful. I used traps, the sticky trap thing, but the poisen finally got rid of all of the mice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, that would gross me out also. I can hardly stand to step on a juicy spider! You poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is Ssoooo nasty, gross, and disgusting...yuck! So, you cleaned your shoes RIGHT?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mom, I totally remember the mice in Texas. I stepped in one of the sticky traps remember? What kind of mouse poison do you get?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rachelle... there was nothing on my shoes. I think I broke its neck or something. It didn't start bleeding for a few seconds.

    ReplyDelete