I don't know about you... but one of my many goals for the year is to get all our food storage taken care of. Our church encourages every family to have a three-month supply of food. I just heard about this great site: http://funwithfoodstorage.net/. This week they are doing a ton of great giveaways so check it out! What are your tips for getting your food storage together? What about your emergency kits (check out this site)? (another one of my goals)
Monday, January 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Soapbox time...
ReplyDeleteGet equipment so you can do a lot of it yourself. Pressure canner, dehydrator, etc. We're looking at getting a steam juicer right now.
If you are getting a tax return, there is a great source of money to get a good start.
Plant a garden and can the fruits of your labors.
Experiment with your food storage, try making meals. Marji found a stew recipe that involves opening up 3-4 cans and warming it up. I've heard of people having "Food storage month" or some variation; everything they cook for the month comes from food storage. Teaches you how to use it BEFORE the emergency strikes.
Look for alternatives. You can use powdered milk for other dairy products as well (evaporated milk, etc) so you can cut down on what you need.
Okay, I'll shut up now...but good luck!
Thanks for the site!
ReplyDeleteYou and I must be on the same wavelength...getting together a 3 month supply of food storage (as well as 72 hour kits) is on my 2009 to-do list, too! I think the hardest thing for me will be to find space in our teeny tiny apartment to store all that food! Thanks for that link. I'll be fishing around there as I get started. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHey Jeanine...last time I was in Utah, I went to a thing where you put together 72 hour kits. I have a complete menu for what you need for each meal...Its pretty handy. If you want me to email it you I will...
ReplyDeleteI haven't been great at the whole food storage thing yet (I'm with Lindsay--not enough space), but what I have been good out is buying a lot of something if it is on sale. If you're buying it for a meal, chances are you'll be able to use it down the road. However, if you've never used a particular item before, don't buy a ton of it until you know what to do with it.
ReplyDeleteWe buy extra Rice a Roni and Hamburger helper when they are on sale for a 1, you can get lots of meals that will last a loooong time and they really only need water and heat to make up.
ReplyDeleteFor 72 hour kits they have TV dinners that can just sit on the shelf, kind of like MRE's. They are only $2 a meal and small enough to fit in the back packs and can be eaten cold.
Good goals!
Yeah...I need to improve myself.
ReplyDeleteyep... we are there with you. we dont have much to our food storage at all. I will be checking that website out soon. thanks for the info!
ReplyDeleteI got a wheat grinder for Christmas... so excited to use it!
ReplyDeleteDid you know that the Church no longer stresses 72 hr kits, but suggests to start with a 3 month supply? Much more useful for the emergencies I imagine will come our way. We do lots of home canning. And this winter we had potatoes and carrots and onions stored to eat until spring but we went through the carrots and onions faster than I thought. But I still have potatoes till spring!
Love to hear what you're doing as you do it!
We do (drumroll) NOTHING by way of food storage - so I love all of these ideas!
ReplyDeletemy friend just told me about www.idareyoutoeatit.com and it looks like a great site! Good luck with your storage!
ReplyDelete