According to William, yesterday was a bad day. James probably would have told you the same thing too. You see, James lost his blankie. Yes, the blankie. The one that goes with him everywhere. The one that must be in his hand while he sucks his thumb. The one that he cannot sleep without. The one that is getting so tattered that it has a hole where he can slip his wrist in while his hands are busy holding other things.
For a year now I've been telling myself to buy a back-up. But I didn't. And then yesterday tragedy struck. We were loading in the car to head to storytime (one of our absolutely necessary weekly adventures) when I realized that James wasn't holding his blanket. I ran in the house (the boys were buckled in the car) to find it. I can always find a missing blankie in less than 2 minutes. I searched the house for over 5 minutes and couldn't find it. So we headed to the library sans blanket. I thought for sure we'd come home and William or James would immediately find it. Nope. I put James down for a nap anyway. He screamed and cried like someone was torturing him.... so we looked again. William and I pretended we were detectives. The fridge. The pots and pans. Under the bed. The washer. Everywhere. I guess we weren't very good detectives.
No one is happy when James misses his nap, so we headed to the store for a new blankie.
Upon our arrival back home I put a tired James in his bed with his new lovey. It worked! Hurray. He must have been really tired to let it fly though because when he woke up he was furious with the impostor! He wanted nothing to do with it. If William tried handing it to him he'd fling it away as though it contained some disease!
And then this morning the three of us were sitting on the couch watching William's favorite--Sid the Science Kid--when James got up from the couch. I heard him in the kitchen shutting the lid to the breadmaker. Nothing unusual... the boys love to put toys in there. Finally he came back to the couch looking so proud and there in his little hand was the blankie! I couldn't believe it! Of all the obscure places that I searched I overlooked that one!
All is now well at the Crane's and James is peacefully napping with both of his blankies.

The bread machine??? I LOVE it. Too funny.
ReplyDeleteGood story. Well told. My older two are both Linus's. Parker is out growing it and doesn't need it except when he's sick. But Reid still can't go five seconds without it. (Though we don't allow it to leave the house except on trips.) I can't even imagine how devastating it would be. I doubt my kids would ever settle for an imposter...though my mom made them...they might be hard to duplicate.
ReplyDeleteFrom one mother of a blanket boy to another...I am SO GLAD you found it.
Thats the ultimate hiding place. Thats great! So glad he found it!
ReplyDeleteHaha.. love the story. I've had things come up missing, and we ask Lilia where they are, and sometimes she remembers and they are in spots I'd never look. One day she pulled out a sippy cup with milk from the previous day, and I heard a big raspberry, and it was Lilia spitting out the digusting milk. I was laughing at that one. She knew it was there, but it would have been curdled by the time I found it! Kids are so funny. Glad the blankie is back and all is well! :)
ReplyDeleteThat's cute!
ReplyDeleteVery cute post Jeanine! I can imagine how tragic losing "the" blankie can be! Hannah is very attached to hers as well. She calls it her nie nie and we try not to let it leave her room but sometimes she wants it when she is sick or extra tired and we let her bring it downstairs. When she carries it around the house with her we've noticed she acts like a baby so we try to limit it to naptime only.
ReplyDeleteSo glad the blankie was found in your house!
In the bread maker! Of course! =) That is so great!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story! Those blankies are surely a right of passage aren't they! Especially for thumb-suckers like my HEIDI!
ReplyDeleteSo funny. That one made me laugh. Glad you found it.
ReplyDeleteoh, nothing is worse... I know. Luke has a special blanket.. He now has 3 including a 4th possible which is Audrey's. I never leave the house without it. Kids are so tricky with their little hiding spots.
ReplyDeleteMy mom would hide candy in the breadmachine, I guess blankets work too. I found our missing remote three weeks later in my boot. Don't you just love kids and where they put things!
ReplyDeleteI never would have thought of that either...that is funny!
ReplyDeleteThat's funny!
ReplyDeleteI think it is so funny that he finally remembered where he put it. I'm so glad you have the blankie back.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your kids put stuff in random kitchen nooks. Emily had our pantry and keeps a spare sippy cup, pacifier, and an assortment of toys there just in case.
ReplyDeleteThe breadmaker has to be the nook of all nooks though...I love it.
That is great. Definitely one to remember for the future. I now have the opposite problem. 2 kids who have given up their binkis...and about 40 binkis I don't know what to do with! (but I'm not complaining about my good sleepers!)
ReplyDeleteAmy Jean... I can't believe that BOTH of them have given up the pacifier so quickly! NICE! William gave up his around 9 months. I just don't have the heart to take away James' blanket quite yet... and it's impossible to take away the thumb!
ReplyDeleteThat is such a classic story..I LOVE it!
ReplyDeletewhoa..and his blue blanket looks fresh out of the washer..AMAzing!
ReplyDelete