Date nights are taken seriously at the Crane house. Friday night we go on a date--no questions. Even William knows that Friday night = date night. Just last Friday he said, "I want to go on a date to Grandma's house." (Translation: "I want you and Dad to go on a date so that James and I can go to Grandma's without you.") We are lucky that Rich's parents live nearby so we have free babysitters. But even if they are unavailable for the night we still go--with the boys in tow. Lately though, it seems like we are stuck in a rut. We do the same things over and over. Going out to eat (usually without the boys), window shopping, going to the bookstore, walking around Mitch Park... Obviously we like these things but we rarely change it up. Has our creativity gone the way of the wind? Are we just a boring old couple now? Or do we just need some new ideas? I like to think it's the last option. Which leads me to the question...
What do YOU do for date night?

my fave is packing a lunch and having a picnic. not in the winter if you don't live in CA but I just think it is so relaxing and fun to sit in the sun and enjoy lunch together.
ReplyDeleteOh how I miss regular date nights! We try to go as often as we can, but it is hard to get sitters. Especially with an 8 week old and us being so tired. But when we do our favorite is the standard dinner and a movie. Or dinner and a coffee and a walk (on the beach preferably) but that is hard when there is no beach by you.
ReplyDeleteRegular date nights...what would that be like? Between long work hours, church responsibilities, and the difficulties in securing a sitter, we don't get time alone out of the house as often as I wish we did. When we do get a date, we usually end up at the temple, partially because we feel a little guilty that it's taken us this long -- again -- to get there. However, we are able to make lots of time for day-time adventures with Garrett in tow. He's still so young, it often feels like it's just Blake and I. We're usually sight-seeing around the city for these activities. I do, though, wish we could find more time to be just with ourselves. Go you for making the time to do that!
ReplyDeleteIm not sure what you like to do. we have doubled with couples, and played tennis or raquet ball. or you could go bowling or do a scavenger hunt. Not that I have done any of this recently... Just ideas. Hope it gets better!
ReplyDeleteI don't think you're a boring old couple, I think dating just evolves over time. We started a dating co-op with three other couples in the ward, so we get dates three Fridays a month and watch kids one Friday. It's worked out pretty well so far. There are lots of things to do around here but it's just too cold to do with a three month old (we take him with us). I think it's great you get out every week. How nice. What is there really to do except go out to eat or go shopping . . . unless there is actually something that's going on in the area. I guess I'm not much help because we have lots to do around here--but that doesn't help you. Ok . . .I'm rambling.
ReplyDeleteWhat is date night? Brandon and I haven't been out alone in ages! You are SO lucky to have some reliable babysitters close by. Someday, we will go out- and not just to the temple :) and why are you the LUCKIEST person in the world!! You won again! I can't believe it! (well I CAN believe it- it is you!)
ReplyDeletewhat did you win?
ReplyDeleteI would be happy to be stuck in a rut. We don't even date. We have no sitter. Dinner without the kids happens like 3 times a year so it's WAY PAST exciting. "Date nights" at our house are at home after the kids are in bed.
ReplyDeleteOur date nights sound a lot like yours - dinner, or a movie, or shopping, or the temple. I'm grateful for regular date nights too, although they are not quite as regular as yours.
ReplyDeletewe're bad about date night because we have to get a sitter so much anyway for work. When we do go out - it's doing the things you mentioned. Or the temple. Or the Nicklecade. =)
ReplyDeleteWe have date nights regularly, but we don't have kids yet to work around, which make things easy for now. We do all sorts of things. Many have been mentioned: movies, dinner, racquetball, bowling, miniature golf, ping pong, nicklecade, etc. We also enjoy just playing games together or with other people we invite over. Or making treats and doorbell ditching them. Or reading a good book. Or visiting a museum or art gallery. Or going to a play, dance, or orchestra performance. Or just learning something new. It is pretty easy to find something we both like to learn together and then to do it. You could learn about almost anything together you might be interested in: learning and identifying things (plants, constellations, birds, butterflies, etc.), pottery, magic tricks, massage (much less expensive than going to a professional), reflexology, woodworking, painting, making piƱatas, building model ships, puppetry, etc., etc. Learning something together can be pretty inexpensive too, especially with internet access and/or a library card.
ReplyDeleteI would rather do something during the daytime so most of my dates consist of biking, hiking, cross country skiing, and other random stuff to get me outside.
ReplyDeleteIndoor rock climbing, go-karting, baseball cages, places like Old town Temecula, cook a new dessert together and enjoy, Theme nites9everything from attire to food and location if you can). Pull ideas from those teenage years, and don't forget the camera. Group dates are always fun to!!
ReplyDeleteI want to go do laser tag soon on a date. You all up for it?
ReplyDeleteWe aren't so luck to have free babysitters near by, but we feel it's worth it to fork over the cash a few times a month for a babysitter!
ReplyDeleteLately we've been going to BYU basketball games Macey free and then out for dessert afterwards. But two of our favorite things to do are mini golf, and the winner picks out dessert, and of course the Nickelcade.
Good luck thinking of new date ideas! Let us know what you come up with.
Game night!!!!
ReplyDeleteMuseums are fun, cheap, and if the kids come you can feel like they learned something. Plus you can change from a date night to a date day and do a Saturday date for a change.
ReplyDeleteWe swap babysitting with a couple in our ward whose kids are near ours in age. They usually go to the gym and work out. Us? Well, we went grocery shopping last time. Very nice, not needing one cart for the food and another for the kids.
ReplyDeleteGrocery shopping wasn't that fun. All Ron could think about was getting back to work on the yard. We did get hot chocolate and a doughnut. That was fun. We have done dinner and movie (theater and renting). I want to go bike riding and to the museum (Ron's not into the museum idea). It would be nice to just go for a walk or go out for dessert. I really like the picnic idea. We have played games before, after the kids go to bed. We play chess and keep track of who wins. There is really nothing to do here in the middle of the desert so I love that you posted this. Good luck.
ReplyDelete-Ron's wife
I'd love to have a weekly date, but no grandparents nearby for us (although this is likely to change soon as my mom is moving near us, yay!). Our standard is dinner and a movie, but we love bowling, racquetball, swimming, tennis. Things I dream about doing are a dinner theater, a play, or a night at the symphony. But those will have to wait for when we're a bit richer... paying for a babysitter and for theater tickets would put a hole in my pocket :)
ReplyDeleteWe like to watch TV shows online that we missed during the week - usually The Office. Or Red Box. :)
ReplyDeleteOh no Jeanine; what did you forget that ignited that heavy rebuking from your son?
ReplyDeleteHeath... I was dropping them off at the Crane's and realized that I had forgotten his backpack. It had their jammies in it (because we wouldn't be back to pick them up until after our date.) He was on the verge of tears when I realized I didn't have it!
ReplyDeleteUm, I have no suggestions for date night, but do you know what this reminds me of? That funny marriage book you had to read for one of your classes that had all the random suggestions of what to do with your spouse. I seem to recall something about costumes? And wasn't there one about "kissing and hugging under the stars?" Good memories. :) Love you.
ReplyDeleteOh Michelle... I totally forgot about "hugging and kissing under the stars"! Hilarious. And you're right... there was something about costumes. I can't believe you remembered that... maybe I'll have to find that book. Perhaps there are some decent suggestions in addition to all the ones we made fun of :) Your comment totally made my day!
ReplyDelete