Friday, February 6, 2009

goal setting

Growing up, the first Monday of January we always set goals for the upcoming year. We would write them down (and draw a picture) and then put them in a place where we would be reminded of those goals. I particularly remember making a goal to sit at the dinner table without getting up. I can vividly recall getting up from the table often. I could have sworn that I made this goal when I was about 5-ish. But when I found my old goals it turns out that I was in third grade! Wow. No wonder my parents suggested that I set that goal.
So this January, on the first Monday of the month, we helped William set goals. It's never too young to start good habits, right? And do you know what? William is doing great!

Pictures from left to right: William sitting in a chair at church, sitting on a turtle (don't ask), lots of food--beans, broccoli, tomatoes, celery, corn, and peas
The biggest success has been his personal goal of trying new foods. All we have to do is ask him what his goal is and he happily complies. Our picky, picky eater has tried so many foods in the past month--and liked them! We're still working hard at the other two but we're ecstatic at the progress we've seen so far!

16 comments:

  1. What a good idea, I never thought of having them draw a picture with their goal. You're such a good mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great pictures...and that is a good idea. I am glad it is working too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it that you posted your goals from when you were in 3rd grade. Thats awesome that you still have them. I wish I would hav saved something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great! there is just something about a goal written down that blesses our efforts! What a wonderful tradition to keep with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great idea!! Perhaps I might have to copy it one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally going to remember this one so I can copy it one day. What a cute mom you are! Your sons can totally marry my daughters. (when I have them. :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, I totally have plans for William and Lucy... but James and baby #3 are still up for grabs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea! When kids have made the choice themselves it's amazing what they're willing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so fun that you are continuing that tradition. I always looked forward to it every year and it was great to watch your progress. (We still do it with Rachelle and Jacob.) I remember very well the year you set the goal to stay seated at the dinner table! You used to drive us crazy wandering all over the kitchen while you ate. Once you decided to make it your own goal, things changed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to steal your idea for when Emily is older!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so cute- I love that you have your list from way back when. So cute. Nice goals william. Josh set some and they lasted about a week. We'll keep working on it, especially the brush and floss part. I'll tell him that William keeps his goals and I know that will work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey and one more thing, there is a contest on The gift closet for valentines day and we are supposed to tell the blog we love the most that we love them! and you are it! seriously! I love to read your blog the most. You always have well thought out comments and cute things for your family. You do too much for us by watching our kids when we go to the temple. That means so much to us. Thanks for being the greatest friend! And for sharing all your great stories and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been meaning to comment on this forever! I love the picture from when you were little!! And good for William on his goals! (we're currently in the middle of a "Go right to sleep"...as opposed to get out of bed a hundred times...chart. Goals are a good, good thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally missed this post on Friday. GREAT IDEA!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jeanine, that is such a good idea! I love what he chose as his goals...Bonnie needs to work on all of those!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant! You are my hero. And my first area to look at on your blog is always the William-isms. He rules.

    ReplyDelete