Sunday, June 13, 2010



The great thing about the Church is how we rotate callings.  One day you could be a primary teacher and the next you could be Relief Society President.  You just never know what the Lord has in store for you.  I've never really been sad about being released from any calling that I've had.  In fact, I've always looked forward with anticipation to what lie in store for me.

Until today.  Today I was released as our ward Young Women President.  The day I found out I cried. I couldn't sleep.  I was in a funk for days. Girls that were Beehives when I was first called to Young Women are now Laurels.  The past three years have been incredible as we have taught each other... and really, they have taught me so much.  I have been blessed to work with the best Young Women around.  You might think the Young Women in your ward are great--but you haven't met my girls.  The.  Best.  I will miss working with them.

The Lord did grant me a tender mercy this week.  Tuesday morning I was checking Facebook when Lizzy popped on.  "Guess what?" she asked.  "I finished my personal progress!"  I am so proud of her.  She accomplished so much in a short period of time.  (She decided in January-ish that she wanted to finish before she left for college in the fall.)  It was the bright spot of my week.  However, we didn't have the new medallions in... so I thought we'd have to wait until they arrived.  Tuesday evening the bishop came over to the house to break the news that I was being released.  (If I really would have admitted it to myself I "knew" Sunday evening that I would be released... but I was in denial because it wasn't what I wanted.) Then, lo and behold, Wednesday at mutual the bishop tells me that the medallions came that day!  And so, minutes before I was released today Lizzy was awarded her Young Womanhood recognition.  It felt fitting.
 Lizzy's mom brought a cake with the new Young Woman Medallion on it.  She also brought flowers for me... so sweet.

I love working with the youth... and I'm sure my time will come again in the future.  I feel good knowing that I left them in the loving, capable hands of the new presidency.   And I know that the Lord is watching out for me... and I wait with anticipation to see what He has in store.

13 comments:

  1. I can't believe you happily stayed in through pregnancies, deliveries, etc! I love Young Womens, but it is demanding. You will be great where ever you are put. Congrats and my condolences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I'm so sorry! I know you were an amazing president and those girls were lucky to have you. These switching callings is rough! I'm not looking forward to moving out of the ward either...maybe it won't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel. It's bittersweet, isn't it. Those girls were sure lucky to have you! And really, it's like I keep telling my Primary kids -- they haven't lost you. You'll be around, they'll be around. You might not always be working as closely with them, but they'll always be your girls, and you'll always be their leader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I guess I didn't realize how long you've been in YW. It's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you were a great YW president and a blessing to those girls! What is your new calling? RS?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know those girls really loved you and will miss you. They will always be "your girls." I still call your friends and Amy's friends, "my girls" because they were my young women. Now all of "my girls" are married and mothers. How did that happen.
    It is nice that you could be released while you were still loving it instead of being released because you were burned out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so cute in that picture. I love that color of green.

    There really is something about young women...the way it is set up allows you to develop a different kind of bond. I still care very deeply about "my young women." And now they're getting married and having kids and going away to college. IT's nuts.

    Your mom is right...I was in for five years. I was burned out. But I long to be back. My heart will always be with the youth.

    You did a wonderful job I'm sure. It's evident that they loved you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my friend. Don't know what to say. What a bitter/sweet day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh! I was going to write the exact same thing as Lori! Being w/o a calling right now makes me realize how busy you are with one...good luck with whatever comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How great that you had such a bond with them. If only every young woman could have that kind of a relationship with their YW president. You'll probably stay in touch with some of these girls forever! Good luck with the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look so cute! And that is one awesome cake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it always that way. I was really sad when I was released from primary but now I am in YW & I love it. You'll love wherever you end up, I'm sure. But I know those girls will always love you too. I still keep in touch with my old YW leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never to be replaced!!! Thanks for all the hard work you did. It was a pleasure serving with you.

    ReplyDelete