Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Back to School Feast

The Monday before school started we had a Back to School "feast".  In my mind I had planned a nice, special dinner.  But when I asked William what he wanted he told me that he wanted pizza and fruit.  

  

Not exactly the feast I had in mind but he loved it.  And since he is the one going back to school that's what mattered.


For Family Home Evening that night we played "Trash or Treasure" in which the boys chose a card and we decided whether is contained words which we should treasure or put in the trash.  We added words that we hear too often at our house (and wish that we didn't) and for some reason the boys thought that was really silly.  They recognized them as words that belong in the trash.  We then introduced our family theme for the school year: "Speak Kind Words."  


In the kitchen we placed a jar (that had previously been used to collect warm fuzzies).  This jar collected our kind words... and every time a unkind word was spoken we took one out. It took a whole week to get it filled but once we filled it up there was a special treat (ice cream sandwiches).  I then emptied the jar to start over but William wanted nothing to do with it.  I finally realized that he didn't like the "stress" of worrying about losing a fuzzy.  So we did away with losing fuzzies and now we just earn them for speaking kind words. 

Rich and I were discussing our family theme the other night and we both agreed that it has made such a difference already.  The boys are much nicer and respectful.  And even when they're ornery a quick reminder of "speak kind words" helps them to remember and try again.

Hopefully we can make the feast and theme a new tradition in our home.

10 comments:

  1. Love all of this. What a great idea to have a theme for the school year--and I love the one you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where was this post on Monday afternoon when I was looking for an FHE lesson on speaking kindly??? We did a jar with a warm fuzzy kind of a thing and we read in Kings about the Lord not being in the wind or an earthquake or a fire and talked about talking the way the Lord would. But your lesson sounds better. Ours has already mostly worn off... we may have to revisit this topic in a few weeks with some of your ideas in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your idea!! What a wonderful new tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a great idea! I think I will be getting a jar and some fuzzy's tomorrow... jackson will be getting this FHE lesson on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing. What a fun idea! I love the idea of themes and especially ones that revolve around kind words. Great switch to reward to make William less anxious. This is super cute, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute Jeanine. That's a PERFECT theme for a house full of little boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm totally going to steal this idea. In my family we always said the Thackers and the Fishers are automatic Celestial Kingdom families (highest tier, that is)...all your adorable ideas are showing me how your amazing family is so darn amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Melissa... you are too nice. Totally not my idea... I ripped it off from the nieniedialogues... her feasts are amazing: http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/2010/08/to-learn-with-joy.html

    http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/2009/08/feast-fit-for-2-queens.html

    http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/2008/08/bell-is-ringing-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Love love your ideas. We need to have this lesson too.

    ReplyDelete