Sunday, February 24, 2013

Brothers

We are always trying to teach our boys that they need to be good brothers to one another and especially to stick up for each other.  Sometimes when they are wrestling or teasing each other I wonder if it's sinking in.  A few recent events have made me think that it is.



At the end of every storytime at the library all the kids get a sticker.  Alex has gotten in the habit of grabbing Henry's hand to bring him up to wait their turn.  I think it's so sweet since Alexander doesn't always enjoy having a little brother.  This past week they were waiting so patiently when a little girl (around Henry's size) came up from behind and pushed Henry.  Alex immediately turned around and told her, "No!"   A few seconds later when she again pushed Henry, Alex firmly told her "NO!"  Eventually the mother came over and removed her daughter.  I was so glad that Alex stood up for Henry--and didn't resort to pushing or hitting the girl back.




Another instance came the other morning when I came out of my room to wake up the boys for school I found this scene.  James and Alexander curled up together with James reading aloud.  It was just too sweet.

James has been especially funny lately.  Alexander likes to be right and will continue to correct you until you agree with him (whether he's right or not).  James is usually a big tease and likes to egg things on but recently he'll happily agree with Alex and then look at me or Rich with a grin that says "I-know-he's-wrong-but-I'll-just-agree-and-it-will-be-our-little-secret".  Sometimes he'll even wink.  Too funny.

I love these boys of mine so much.  They are all so sweet and good in their own ways.  I feel like there is just too much to teach them and not enough time before they go off on missions and college!  I'm just hoping that what we teach them sticks.

5 comments:

  1. They are such good boys (you are such a good mom!) love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these sweet experiences. It is so nice when you can see that what you taught them really has sunk in. You and Rich are such great parents. Isn't it just the greatest joy to see your children learning and living the good things that will bring them happiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately none of us ever live perfectly up to what our moms taught us, but it sounds like your boys are doing a pretty fantastic job. What cuties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are such cute stories. You are such a great mom Jeanine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute- I love moments like this. They really save lives when they do other things you are not please with ;)

    ReplyDelete