Population: 6000
Area: 43 square miles
Traffic lights: 0
Schools: 5
Churches: 6
Gas Stations: 2
Grocery Stores: 0
I went to a high school whose student body almost equals the population of our entire town. That would bother some people... but not me. There are some things that drive me crazy (couldn't we get just one grocery store here?) but for the most part I have come to really enjoy small town life. I will go into more of those reasons later. Today I want to brag about our library. It's small (perhaps the size of our home) and fairly new (less than 5 years old) but it is awesome. Our librarian, Rhonda, is so creative and is always planning things that will help the community.
Every Tuesday morning she holds a wonderful story time filled with stories (of course), dancing, snacks, and crafts. A few months ago we learned all about colors. For the craft all the children got to put their hands in paint and make a handprint on a quilt square. And what did she do with those?
Well, there is a quilting group that meets at the library every Friday morning. They made these adorable curtains for the children's section of the library. Cute idea? She's full of them! Even better? William is on all three curtains. Here are some close ups:
1. William's handprint 2. William and his buddies, Beckham and Stoddard, reading their books quietly on the rocking bench (note: it's amazing that these boy are sitting still. Normally they are terrorizing the library. This is probably why Rhonda took the picture.) 3. William is in the foreground in the red jacket. This is a music and movement class that they hold once a month... so fun! 4. William in the orange shirt during summer story time.
I just thought this was a wonderful way to combine story time, quilters group, and beautify the library!
And here are some cute pictures of my boys playing at the library... for your viewing enjoyment. (Which is another great thing about our library... we can go at certain times and no one else will be there... love it.)


... more to come on small town life...

I didn't know you lived in such a small town. I think I would go crazy. Glad you're finding ways to enjoy it and especially the library. Cute boys!!
ReplyDeleteI LOVED the library in Columbus. It was HUGE and completely awesome. The children's section was unlike any I've ever seen. But I loved it for completely different reasons than you love yours. That sounds so fun. I can see why you would love the library. Those curtains will probably be up for years and when William is in High School, he maybe a little embarrassed about them. Actually, that's awesome.
ReplyDeleteSHeesh...I complain about living in a small town and there are about 80,000 people here. I can't imagine 6,000. Yikes. I'm glad you've found some enjoyment there.
We had the best library when we lived in a town of less than 10,000. It was so fun, just like yours, with extra programs for kids. Too cute! I miss our library like yours! Glad you get to enjoy it! Lucky, lucky boys!
ReplyDeletePS love small town life, miss it. All the time.
I really need to start looking into taking Olivia to the library..yours seems awesome!! And James looks so big!! Adorable
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have an awesome library! You lucky ducks!
ReplyDeleteYou told me a while ago about those curtains. It was fun to see them. I hope we get to live in a small town again one day. . . Maybe when me move to Texas:)
ReplyDeleteI noticed your picture of the week...not ketchup and mustard, Corona High...Go Panthers! LOVE your williamisms.
ReplyDeleteI would die in a small town...when Gene and I were first married we lived 15 minutes from the freeway and a grocery store it drove me nuts...so now we live right next to a freeway exit and a mile from a grocery store. I'm all about the convenience of a big city. I haven't talked to you for ages what small town do you live in?
ReplyDeleteRachel... Yup it's pretty small and spread out but close enough to the city that you don't feel isolated.
ReplyDeleteKatie... YES! Definetly Corona High :) Sometimes I think it would be cool to have a huge library with unlimited selection... but then I'd have to give up other things like a librarian who knows our names and times when we have the library completely to ourselves.
Carrie... where did you live that was so small?
Traci... I have some great memories of the Brea library!
Lindsay... you might not think it was so awesome when you came and saw the selection--but we're slowly getting there.
Amy... I'm counting on you moving to Texas!
Kim... so good to hear from you! It takes us about 15-20 minutes to get anywhere worth going to but I don't think it's so bad. We are living in Piedmont Oklahoma... it's just Northwest of Oklahoma City.
WOW! that is awesome! what a great librarian! I have just recently gone to our library and it couldnt be any bigger than the main level of our home, but it has to be at least 25 years old. I couldnt even find the kids section, if there was one. I hope by the time my kids enjoy reading books there is another one or this one gets updated.
ReplyDeleteLibraries are great. We have a great one too with a great play area- makes for a good outing.
ReplyDeleteSo fun. I've got to be better about going to the library here (I might be more motivated if there weren't 100 million people at ours =) Can we come visit your library tomorrow, please??
ReplyDeletelori
Heidi... I hope your library gets updated too! Every library needs a good children's section!
ReplyDeleteMichal... you're right--libraries make a great outing!
Lori... yes! PLEASE come visit our library! We would LOVE it :)
Wow your librarian sounds pretty neat! that was a great idea! and I dont think I would mind living in a small town too.
ReplyDeleteI had a dream last night that you were on a trip with us and someone stole the car...the one that we put Ry's car parts in and the emergency lights with a mind of their own...any thoughts about what this means?! :)
ReplyDelete