Two little blackbirds sitting on a hill
One named Jack, the other named Jill
Fly away, Jack! Fly away, Jill!
Come back, Jack! Come back, Jill!
Two little blackbirds sitting on a hill.
William's class recited this poem for the entire school Wednesday morning (it's only pre-K and Kindergarten). He had told me the whole thing Tuesday. He had it down pat. Our entire little family went to watch him.
William is the kid fourth from the right with his blackbirds covering his face.
I asked him after school why he didn't recite the poem. He told me, "I was scared. I didn't like all the grown-ups looking at me." Oh well. Maybe next time.

Isn't it typical of our kids. You never know what will suddenly make them shy. I love that there is still some old school nursery rhyme teaching going on. He will always remember this verse!
ReplyDeleteI don't like a lot of people looking at me either--who can blame him.
ReplyDeleteThat is EXACTLY Parker. For as animated as he is at home, I'm always shocked at how shy he can be.
ReplyDeleteMy great-grandpa used to sit us on his knee and recite that poem to us.
My grandpa taught me that poem only it went..."two little blackbirds sitting on a wall; one named Peter and one named Paul." funny, huh?
ReplyDeleteoh, that picture is to die for. CRACKS ME UP. I'm glad Lucy isn't alone in her inability to face a crowd =)
ReplyDeleteOh I love it- that is such a cute story and one that you will laugh at later if you aren't already. I went to Josh's closing assembly last year, but was 5 minutes late. I walked in and when Josh saw me he burst into tears and crumbled into a ball- he was dead center too. I ran to the side stage and he came off telling me he thought I wasn't coming! He calmed down and finished the rest of the program. I felt like such a horrible mom!
ReplyDeleteawwwwww, he was shy... so cute!
ReplyDelete