Several weeks ago we took the boys out to Okeene, Oklahoma for their annual Rattlesnake Roundup. It was definitely a "cultural" experience! (Oklahoma culture, that is!) First we headed to the pit to take a look at the snakes.
There were so many snakes! And we were told that they had less this year than most years.
There were men in the "pit" handling the snakes and holding them up for people to touch.
I don't know if you can see... but a snake is going down this guy's shirt!
There was another guy walking around barefoot in there! And he almost stepped on a few snakes! Not my idea of "smart".
Somehow we convinced the boys to touch a snake. They were all pretty hesitant (thank goodness!) but eventually did it.
Next we headed to the "butcher shop"--which is exactly what you think. Here is where they kill the snakes so that you can buy the meat. (Do you see the sign? $25/pound!) There were some Asian guys there that had the butchers add some snake blood to their bottle of vodka (?) for them to drink. Sick! The food network was also there taping a show they were calling "Killer Foods". We were in the butcher shop when they were taping... so you may see us on TV!
We also took a look at their little museum where they had a fake rattle snake jump out at us! James was pretty startled!
After our long trip home we stopped by the local sno-cone shack and got a little treat ("Wildcats" for the boys and "Tiger's Blood" for Rich and I to share). It was the perfect way to end the day.
Saturday, May 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Eeww! I can handle cockroaches, scorpions, and spiders but I HATE snakes.
ReplyDeleteThat butcher shop is so gross.
ReplyDeleteThat is crazy!
ReplyDeleteHow are you doing with all your stuff going on? I'm so sad about that family who lost their kids. I hope their daughter makes it!
wow! you are a great mom!! no way in heck I would go there!!!
ReplyDeleteNo snake's blood sno-cones, huh? I don't think I could have been in the butcher shop. That's really awful. And I'm not sure I'll be able to tune in to see see if you're on the show (shudder).
ReplyDeleteYuck!I don't think I would have enjoyed that!
ReplyDelete