Just checking in to let everyone know that we are alive and well. Yesterday afternoon our family experienced something new to all of us. We heard that storms would be moving in late in the afternoon so Rich came home early from work. I'm so glad that he did--since he is the experienced one when it comes to tornadoes. Rich and the boys watched a movie for a little bit until I insisted that we check the news. We then moved the movie watching into the hallway on the laptop. Rich grabbed the boys mattresses to pull over us. When the weatherman informed us that the storm was headed to our little town we turned off the movie and pulled those mattresses on top. Rich informed the boys that the power would go off in a minute... and right on cue the house went dark. We huddled under the mattresses (boy it was HOT), played "I spy" (although there wasn't much to see!), told dad about our days, and played a matching game on the ipod. Since all our stuff is packed up we had no idea what was going on--no emergency radio. We could just listen to the storm (it sounded like a low growl) and wait for it to pass. I also texted Rich's mom to get updates (when we could get reception) and she let us know when it was gone. It was nice to get out of that hallway (not exactly comfortable sitting on the floor under a mattress with no air when you are super pregnant). We waited for the rain to stop and then went outside to assess any damages. We are so blessed that we had no damages at all! (We drove past the new house as well and it is safe also.)
The boys had fun playing with the worms and splashing in the puddles.
Not everyone in our little town was quite so lucky. Apparently our town was "the hardest hit area. There's more damage in {our town} because it's the most densely populated area." In fact, they canceled the last day of school (which should have been today). {See here for pictures} The saddest story I heard was about a mom who was with her three kids huddled in the bathtub when the tornado hit. Two of the kids have been found alive but her three-year-old is still missing. I can't even imagine being that mom! During the tornado I kept thinking, "If it hits us I am going to hold on to these boys tight so we don't get separated."
Rich has been through a lot of tornadoes but he said this is the most scared he's ever been in a storm. In all his years of living here this is the closest he's been to a tornado. Let's hope it's the last time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

very scary!! I am so glad you guys are safe. I will be praying for that poor mom. My heart is very sad for all of the people who have been hit by these storms lately. Very sad. I am glad you're well!!!
ReplyDeleteOh Jeanine! I am glad your family is safe.
ReplyDeleteMy heart aches for that mother whose three year old is missing. Oh that is just so awful.
You guys be careful!!!
Glad you are okay.
So glad you are safe. We are praying for everyone in the area that are experiencing storms. I hope another one doesn't come that close again.
ReplyDeleteWow! I'm glad you guys are okay!
ReplyDeleteWow, I'm glad your family and home are safe. The pictures of the houses hit are so horrible. I can't even imagine that.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't stop thinking about you...wondering what part of Oklahoma you lived in...wow! Too close for comfort! So so glad to hear that you are okay. What a terrifying experience. I cannot even imagine. Praying for the people in your town!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear you guys are okay! I am glad your houses are okay too! I have never actually been in a tornado, although there were several in our area when we lived in TX. One ripped off a side of our mall. They can definitely be scary!
ReplyDeleteWow! I didn't realize it was that close to you guys. So glad it missed you. So scary.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! That's so scary! I'm so glad you guys are all safe. That must have been so nerve racking. I read the article from the link you posted and that story breaks my heart. I can't imagine what that mom must be going through. To be stuck in the hospital while your son is missing and the other dies??...How awful. Thanks for keeping us updated on your condition.
ReplyDeleteYikes...that sounds a little scary! I think I'd rather live through an earthquake.
ReplyDeleteI'd MUCH rather be in an earthquake!!
ReplyDeleteHoly cow! I haven't had the news on all day until now, and I immediately came to your blog. So glad you guys are ok. Although I know if it was me I would feel fairly traumatized right now--hope the boys are resilient and not too scared. Totally sad about the other family.
ReplyDeleteDumb blogger--it said no one was logged in, so it said I was going to login before it submitted my comment. That last one was from me. :)
ReplyDeleteSo very glad you and your family are safe! We are thinking about/ praying for all of you guys out there!!
ReplyDeleteYou truly were being watched over!
ReplyDeleteSuper glad your family is safe.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you guys are safe. I was watching the news the day before about Joplin and saw the storm was headed your way so I was really worried about you guys. Thanks for keeping us updated. Austin asked if you guys were okay when he got home that night (he likes texts too :) ). I was a little worried when I called after I got your text and no one answered but I figured your power was probably out. Stay safe. I hope that's the last of the tornados in your area for now.
ReplyDeleteHow scary! I'm glad you guys were safe and had no damage!
ReplyDelete