Sunday, September 9, 2012

Bus riders

When I was in 5th and 6th grade I was a bus rider.  And I hated it.


For the past few years William has been dying to ride the bus.  In kindergarten his bus would have been K-12.  There was no way I was sending my little boy on a bus with 17-year-olds!  But he really really wanted to ride the bus.  So we made a deal:  When James was at school with William then they could both ride the bus.  This way they could be "bus buddies" and (hopefully) help each other out.


So this is the year they've been waiting for!  They have been so excited to ride the bus.  William got to ride the bus by himself for a few days since James had the staggered start days.  One day William got off on the wrong stop and quickly realized it.  He chased after the bus, got back on, and then hopped off at the right stop.  (I'm so glad that he realized it quickly!  I did that once and got completely lost!  It was awful... one of the reasons I hated bus riding.)



The boys get dropped off at the corner every afternoon and  then race down the street to our home before the bus can drive past.  It is fun to see them have a great time together.


I love not having to wait in line at the school in the morning and afternoon as well!  And the best benefit of all?  William will actually tell me things about school!  The afternoon bus ride gives him enough time to relax that by the time he's home he's more willing to tell me about his day.  I love it!


5 comments:

  1. I am glad your boys are enjoying riding the bus and that William was able to get back on the bus when he got off at the wrong stop. I still feel bad about your terrible experience in Florida. I'm so grateful to that nice lady that helped you find your way home. I'm glad that you thought to pray and ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always lived super close to all my schools, so there was never a bus. I don't think I would have liked it, but I'm glad your boys are there to enjoy it with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary for William to get off at the wrong stop. I'm glad it all ended up ok. I bet that's so nice for you too to not have to worry about drop off and pick up and great that William wants to share more about his day now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bus and LOVE not having to wait in the line. That is great that he will talk about it more. My boys still don't do a very good job at that. It still takes a lot of coaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no, my kids walk to school. Im not a big bus fan either

    ReplyDelete