Sunday, June 15, 2008

daddy dearest

Everyone in my family was born in different hospitals in California. Everyone that is except for me and my dad. We were both born in this hospital in Ft. Sam Houston, Texas.I always thought that was pretty cool. That is just one of the many things I have in common with my dad.

My Dad was blessed with four beautiful daughters... and didn't get a son until years afterward. However, that didn't stop him from doing things he enjoyed. He was always taking us on hikes,

hiking at Town Lake in Austin, TX
at the top of Mt. Timp


fishing, out in the boat,
canoeing at Prado Dam

and even shooting guns. I was probably 9 years old when I got my first pocket knife and 11 when I got an even bigger one. And we most certainly were expected to mow the lawn, take out the trash and other "boy jobs." My dad probably hasn't mowed the lawn in 15 years... at least.

He also liked to tease us. Here I am at 8 months old. You can see that the teasing starts early on. When I was probably 3 or 4 we went to the Hogle Zoo. Here's the story in my mom's words: Jeanine's favorite part of the zoo was the children's petting zoo. While we were in the petting zoo, a llama went over to Jeanine and started to nibble on her hair. Her hair was such a pretty yellow color he must have thought it was straw or hay to eat. Jeanine started to cry. Instead of stopping to help her though, Dad was busy trying to get his camera so he could take a picture of it. Obviously he was a little too slow and didn't get the picture.
And here we are at Martin's Cove pulling a handcart. Where is my dad going? He's running off to find a cow pie to toss at us. Nice.

But my dad also taught me by example the things that were important such as living the gospel and serving. My dad was also the one who baptized me,
gave me father's blessings, was there when I went through the temple for the first time, and when I got married. Thank you Dad. I love you.


And the other very important dad in my life is the father of my two boys. They can hardly wait for Rich to come home. Every time the phone rings William thinks that it's Rich and he'll ask me "Is Dad coming home? And he'll get clothes on? And he'll play 'king of the bed'?" When James hears the garage door open he'll squirm out of my arms so that he can run his fastest to get Dad.
And he too teaches our children everything from playing ball to the importance of prayer and scripture study. He's the best dad I could ask for for my boys.
Happy Father's Day!
And for a beautiful father's day post click here.

16 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Very thoughtful and funny. We have a great dad. Jeff loved the toilet picture. He couldn't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post about your great men. You are blessed to have them, as they are to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO Sweet! I love it that you girls did all the fun outdoors stuff! we did too, but there were 6 boys in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat post! Love the pic of you in the potty! To funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jeanine for a great blog. Dad loved reading it and looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Father's Day Rich! And what a beautiful post, Jeanine! I loved the tribute to your dad. FABULOUS pictures! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That toilet picture is one of the greatest I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a sweet post. I love the picture of you in the toilet, and the picture of you with your nice tapered jeans! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AW that is so cute- I love to see those cute pictures of you- So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have some great men in your life!!! That is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know you were born in the same hospital as your dad--that is really cool. Loved this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love when you post old pictures. I SO remember you that way.

    Parker got William's letter in the mail at the most opportune moment. He was about to have a melt down from his crummy day of being ignored while we moved. He was more than overjoyed. Thanks William!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a beautiful post. What a great thing for you to have a fun dad and a great hubby! I LOVE the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeff (and Ron and everyone else)... glad you enjoyed the toilet picture. I knew you would.

    Heidi... I love that we were able to do outdoorsy things growing up. Although we always noticed that my dad was more likely to get the guns out when our boy cousins came over...

    Katie... so glad that Parker got the letter. Maybe there was a reason I kept putting it off! William had a great time making it and talked about Parker the entire time. He has Parkers letter hanging up on his white board. My favorite line was, "You have to love me." Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a sweet tribute. You are great with all of those "un-digital" pics... You must be a scanning fool. I loved reading about your dad and your upbringing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tributes to the Father's in your life. I never knew those things about your dad, but I always knew he had a funny sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete