Thursday, August 14, 2008

is there a plumber in the house?

Seriously. I was minding my own business when I hear a quiet sob coming from the bathroom. Oh no. I head in and see my brand new towels spread out on the floor trying to cover a puddle of something. My first assumption is that William missed the toilet and was trying to clean up after himself... which would also explain the crying. But then I notice the toilet is full to the top. Then my eyes wander to the toilet paper... it's nearly gone. I'm pretty sure that it was at least half full last time I checked. Great. So I calm William down and then start to clean up the mess. The toilet is so full that I can't even try the plunger without sloshing toilet water all over the place. Oh and did I mention that the idiot who built the house decided that the bathrooms should be half carpeted? Brilliant. I plunge and plunge and decide that I should try flushing again. Bad idea. More water comes spilling out. Now I have nothing left. I start scooping water out into the trashcan. Disgusting. Bleh! And now I hear James crying. I have William go play with him for a bit. I plunge and plunge and plunge some more. It's not working. By now, James is screaming. So, I disinfect myself and the sink where I have been dumping the trashcan full of toilet water (I figured the sink would be easier to clean than the tub), lock the door behind me and run to the aid of my boys. Last I checked, the toilet is still full. I think from now on I'll hide the toilet paper.

24 comments:

  1. Oh good luck with that!!!! I hate overflowing toilets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously?

    Shut the water valve off (near the bottom of the toilet). Unwrap a wire hanger and use one end to jab the mess further down.

    If you've already done this, then call the plumber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so sorry! Plumbing problems are never fun! Good luck getting the bathroom put back together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuck no fun... my first thought was similar to that of (ron?).. hurry shut the water valve off! Sometimes its hard to think of those things though right away! Hopefully Rich came to the rescue and cleaned it up? :) no fun..

    ReplyDelete
  5. YIKES... thats not a fun situation. the joys of potty training??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness... not fun at all. The joys of being the momma of boys! It seems to come with the package! Good thought to click and post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And if you think your kids are the first or last to do that, you're CRAZY! Brady has just discovered the joys of flushing the potty...and stuffing paper in the toliet. And we've had TWO experiences such as yours with his older sister.

    I've found the garbage can to be an excellent water removal device in our hour of need. Way to think on your feet, Jeanine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's quite disgusting Jeanine...thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SIGH! I'm so sorry!! Glad Ron's around with good plumbing tips =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh man! That is too sad. So is william traumatized now? Wow! I hope you got it taken care of! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No fun at all. Did your carpet get all wet?? I hope not. It's good to know now that you can shut the water valve off, I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yesterday was the one day this week that Rich didn't come home for lunch... figures! I just left it alone and it drained... Rich fixed it when he came home.

    Thanks Ron for the plumbing tips... I'll keep this in mind for the next time.

    Carrie... this is actually the second time in 2 weeks that William has done this... The first time he didn't overflow the toilet though. This time I found out that he tried to fix it himself... from what he told me I'm pretty sure his hands were in the toilet. Sick!

    Rachelle... I knew you would appreciate a toilet story.

    Elise... no William isn't traumatized. He was crying because he knew he was going to be in huge trouble.

    Amy... Thank goodness the carpet didn't get soaked... just the edge and it wasn't too hard to sop up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's pretty gross. Way to try and take on the toilet by yourself. Looks like you are going to have to keep the toilet paper under lock and key.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh we've had our fair share of plumbing issues- in fact we still haven't resolved this one. Our backyard is full of holes and we have yet to discover the problem. We just gave up and we are going to call a professional out soon. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey it is fun to catch up with you. Your boys are cute and this story cracks me up. We have had several similar situations. To answer your question yes we were in Burley how often do you get to visit the lovely city?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know this won't make you feel any better, but Jacob still overflows the toilet sometimes. Rachelle HATES it when he does it in her bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so brave...I would have called Derek home from work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad I am a plumber's daughter-it has saved me a few times. I am so sorry you had to deal with that, and glad to hear your carpet wasn't ruined!
    YOu can get flushable wipes and teach him to only use one! It helped Austin!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We had a similar problem one sunday before church. We couldn't get the water to stop flowing and it flood our hall and kitchen and everything. That was one of the two MAJOR flooding problems that let to new flooring in our entire house in Ohio.

    I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is my worst nightmare. I am kicking myself in the butt from not learning all the handy man techniques from my dad, including plumbing. Good to know that a whole roll will do that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Try dish soap... it dissolves the toilet paper (I speak from experience!). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you are funny! I would not even like to deal with that mess.... you should have just scooped all the TP out of the toilet....ewwwww that is just nasty.

    ReplyDelete