Last Sunday William came home from Primary with this stuck to his vest:

We practiced all week long so that he would have his scripture memorized to recite for the rest of the Primary children. William and I even headed over to the church during the week in order to practice speaking into the microphone.
I explained the whole scenario to him.
I explained the whole scenario to him.
He had it down pat. Flawless.
And then it was go-time. Rich and I sat anxiously in the back of the Primary room to watch William during his first public speaking engagement. The primary leader helped William to the microphone and looked at me as if to say "Are you going to come up here and help him?" I mouthed the words, "No. He knows it." I'll have to admit, I was pretty proud that William had memorized that scripture in just a week's time. And then nothing. William just stares. I hurry to the front to help him. He won't even say the words as I whispered them in his ear. So I speak the words in the microphone. Finally he says the last phrase in a quiet, mumbled hurry.
On the way home I asked him, "What happened? There were a lot of kids huh?" "Yeah," he answered. "And they were all looking at me. I didn't want them to look at me."
I guess every one's entitled to a little stage fright. Especially when you're three.

Well, at least you got t on video at home!
ReplyDeletethats so cute! How funny! Im sure I will be the same way... proud that my kid knows the scripture... then nothing.
ReplyDeleteThat is so impressive that he could memorize that so quickly. Good for you for letting him practice during the week at the church using the microphone. Next time he'll do better now that he knows that kids will be looking at him. (Rachelle said they should have told the children to put their heads down and close their eyes while he said the scripture. Or better yet, just leave the room while he said the scripture. You know Rachelle--she has crazy ideas.)
ReplyDeleteOh, I can definitely relate! I gave my first talk in primary when I was a sunbeam. My mom wasn't going to help me give it, but she helped me memorize it by recording herself reciting it on a cassette tape. I listened to it over and over and eventually memorized it myself, at which point we recorded MY voice reciting it into the tape recorder. By Sunday I was all set: I knew it by heart and I knew it well. Only then I had to get up in front of all those people. I panicked, but my parents, who'd come to watch, had a brilliant idea: my dad ran home to get the tape recorder while the primary stalled closing exercises. When he returned, he put the tape player on the pulpit next to the microphone and pushed play. And that's how the primary heard me give my first talk.
ReplyDeleteSo cute! We have all had that lovely experience. Your baby knows the stuff by heart...nothing.
ReplyDeleteAt least he has it in his heart, that is the best part!
Maybe you should have asked everybody to bow their heads and close their eyes--at least they wouldn't have been looking at him!
ReplyDeleteParker did the exact same thing. He had the scripture memorized...still does. But he choked once he was up at the stand. Spencer had to recite it. HE was in the chapel for primary...I can see how that's intimidating when your less than 4 ft tall.
ReplyDeleteDon't you love it and hate it at the same time? Brenna gets stage fright, but is the most animated outgong child. What's with that? Good job William memorizing it in a week!
ReplyDeleteCute story. That one's for the journal. I don't like when everyone is looking at me either William. I always pretend no one is paying attention to what I'm saying, then I don't get so nervous.
ReplyDeleteWhat a smart little kid. Maybe next time he will know what to expect!!!
ReplyDeletewow.. i guess we shouldn't underestimate a three year old capability! That was impressive. Even if he did get stage fright :)
ReplyDeleteHi Jeanine. The winner's of the Tassi never contacted me so today is your lucky day. Email me your shipping info and choice of color by the end of the day to claim your goody!
ReplyDeleteTell William that I don't like all those people looking at me when I'm asked to speak either! What a cute video!
ReplyDeleteOh, this is classic! I love William saying his scripture! Good for him! And least YOU (and WE) know that he's the most impressive three year old around!
ReplyDeleteLindsay... that story about your first talk is hilarious!
ReplyDeleteyay for William...that's pretty impressive that he memorized that whole scripture even if he didn't actually say the whole thing in primary!
ReplyDeleteThat is so cute. Dont you just love those primary moments?? I may use that pinning to the shirt idea in our primary since none of the parents ever remember, i should pin it to the parents shirts... haha
ReplyDelete