For whatever reason Pioneer Day just isn't a big deal out here in Oklahoma. Kind of sad. I grew up where we had a huge stake celebration. I loved it! Thankfully our ward celebrates every year. This year we had a big pancake breakfast and then some fun pioneer games.
The kids made ice cream in a can.
Pulled sticks. (For some reason I'm reminded of when Rich and Jeff pulled sticks in Nauvoo... so fun.)
Walked on stilts and did a ring toss.
Blew bubbles.
And went on a horse (powered) wagon ride.
We also played our games at home and even learned more about the pioneers on a pioneer treasure hunt. We love Pioneer Day!

Looks like fun. At least your ward does something. No one seems to think twice about it here.
ReplyDeleteSo sad! They actually had some other fun stuff that we didn't get to... making butter, rag dolls, three legged races and sack races. This was probably the best one we've had so far.
ReplyDeleteOur ward and stake didn't do anything. They said it was because they had the youth pioneer trek in May. I don't know what that had to do with not celebrating pioneer day. Rachelle and I sang a pioneer song duet in Sacrament Meeting on July 24 but there was no mention of pioneer day during the whole meeting and that July 24 IS pioneer day. We read pioneer family histories as a family. We need to remember our heritage.
ReplyDelete