Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Days--Part I

Because of the impending snowstorm (aka Wintergeddon 2011) we got a phone call from the school last night informing us that school was canceled for today.  We have been enjoying our day at home thus far.  For a mid-morning snack the boys wanted to eat some snow.  Rich had the ingenious idea to pour some snow cone syrup on top... snow cones with real snow!  It was a big hit.



While Alexander took a nap we went on a little scavenger hunt around the house.  I think the boys had even more fun when it was their turn to hide the clues.



James was begging all morning to go out in the snow.  I kept telling him to wait until the snow stopped falling... but it never did.  So after lunch we bundled the boys up and Rich took them outside.  I watched and took pictures from the cozy, warm house.

All bundled up and ready to head out into the cold




 William getting ready to launch a giant snowball at Rich


After a while, James had had enough of the cold (although later, after he had warmed up again, he was asking to go outside!).  He came in and had a nice warm bath while William and Rich went on some more "adventures". 

Check out those rosy cheeks from the cold!


They didn't last a whole lot longer though and soon everyone was warm again and drinking hot chocolate.... Followed closely by popcorn and a movie (The Lion King).



The rest of the afternoon was spent trying to keep all the boys happy and from driving the others insane!  We built a fort in the playroom




and after dinner made some snow ice cream.  Delicious!



School is canceled tomorrow as well... we shall see what adventures it brings!

5 comments:

  1. you are so creative! I don't think of stuff like that! Good luck surviving this crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard when you aren't used to snow and don't have "snow clothes". I have discovered that the right kind of clothes makes all the difference. Good luck with more indoor activites tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day. We need to make snow icecream. Today is our snow day. I was just planning on going to the library but it's closed! We've never had things that bad here. I guess we'll just have to stay home. Have fun on your snow day today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy being cozied up at home (and hope you don't get too stir-crazy). And I love that you let your boys eat the snow, and flavored it to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely handle your snow days better than I do. We've had at least one snow day a week (including today) since the beginning of January, and the novelty has definitely worn off -- we're all going stir crazy! If I can muster up some energy, I'll have to try some of your ideas out -- they do sound fun. :)

    ReplyDelete