Monday, March 28, 2011

General Conference Prep

Every year before General Conference we review and learn a little about the First Presidency and Apostles.  It helps the boys to focus a little better when they recognize the faces, know the names, and know a fun fact about the men they are listening to over the course of the weekend.

I've posted some facts about them in the past but this year I wanted to make our Family Home Evenings leading up to General Conference a little more interactive and perhaps a little more memorable.  Week #1 we covered Thomas S. Monson, Henry B. Eyring, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Boyd K. Packer, and L. Tom Perry.  Since President Eyring enjoys baking bread with his family we all made banana bread together.

Week #2 we learned about Russell M. Nelson, Dallin H. Oaks, M. Russell Ballard, Richard G. Scott, and Robert D. Hales.  Since Elder Scott likes to paint with watercolors we did a little watercoloring of our own.


Week #3 was our final week where we learned about Jeffrey R. Holland, David A. Bednar, Quentin L. Cook, D. Todd Christofferson, and Neil L. Andersen.  Because Elder Holland and Elder Cook played football, Elder Bednar met his wife while playing flag football, and Elder Cook is a fan of our OU Sooners we went outside and played our our little game of football.  (I think this was the favorite activity by far!)

I love what Elder Andersen has said on the subject: "Some might say it is not the leaders who are important, but the message they bring.  Yet, if our children do not know the names of the members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, they most likely will not know their messages either."  And again: "Our challenge as parents is to prepare our homes so that our children might be 'armed with righteousness.'  In the future, a discernible distinction of the true followers of Christ will be the heed and attention they give to the living prophets and Apostles.  As our children listen to these men, they will find their way."  (Both quotes come from "Teaching Our Children to Love the Prophets," Ensign, April 1996, 44).

We are excited for Conference this year!  What do you do to prepare?

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I think this would be great for us even without children in the mix--I feel like I still don't know very much about our newest apostles (I often forget what the order is). I just got so used to the same ones for what--10 years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, for our RS meeting before last General Conference we did a conference prep thing... I was surprised how many ladies took conference packet pages--for their husbands!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea! A few years back we bought two packs of the 5 x 7 cards with the first presidency and apostles on them. We lay them out on the floor and use them to play "Memory". As they've needed to be updated we've just puchased the individual cards. Now that the kids are older, they like to have racing games with the cards (like around the world). Once a month we do a FHE on a general authority and I think I'm gonna still your idea to do an activity that they like to do. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a great mom! I am just happy that when Rachel looked at the presidents on my money she said "prophet". At least nursery is teaching her something :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas! (I found you through Sugardoodle.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your great ideas. You've just inspired a plan for 15 weeks of Family Home Evening lessons to come in my home!

    (Came by way of Sugardoodle)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an amazing mom!! What a great example of how preparing for FHE makes all the difference in the world!! Your family is soooo blessed to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is sooo awesome! And I love that you guys played football! That is the best! Thanks so much for sharing this in the GC Link-up! Great FHE ideas for me to tuck away!

    ReplyDelete