Monday, September 15, 2008

accentuate the positive

I have been thinking about this for days. No. Weeks, really. Ever since I heard of the accident that changed this beautiful family's lives forever.

I don't know the Nielsons. Not personally at least. But as I sit and read the archives of this wonderful woman's blog I feel that I do. I love to see the adventures that this young family sets out upon. To see the fun she cooks up for days when they are cooped up in the house. I love to see their celebrations. Most of all? I love that she has found joy in motherhood and shares it with the rest of the world. When I read Stephanie's entries I want to be a better person. More particularly--a more loving wife and mother.

I love these words:

I am asking that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we “accentuate the positive.” I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment virtue and effort.... What I am suggesting is that each of us turn from the negativism that so permeates our society and look for the remarkable good among those with whom we associate, that we speak of one another’s virtues more than we speak of one another’s faults, that optimism replace pessimism, that our faith exceed our fears. When I was a young man and was prone to speak critically, my father would say: “Cynics do not contribute, skeptics do not create, doubters do not achieve." --President Gordon B. Hinckley

Her sister now keeps the world updated on the status of recovery and the lives of the Nielson children. She is so positive. She helps those children "enjoy more fully the sunlight" at a time when it would be so easy to "seek out the storms." Thank you nie and cjane for helping us to accentuate the positive.

To find out more about the Nielsons click here, here, here, and here.

10 comments:

  1. I was just commenting to my mom on the phone last night about how powerful the blogging community is. I'm in awe of the support (financial, spiritual, etc) that has gone out towards this family despite the fact that most of that same blogging community doesn't know them personally. I went to high school with Stephanie. I didn't know her too well (she was in the class ahead of mine), but the more I've learned about her in the weeks since their plane crashed, I, like you, have been blown away by what an awesome woman and mother she is. And I want to be like that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is WOW! I can't even imagine having my children and family go through what this family is experiencing. I can't stop reading Stephanie's blog now. She is an amazing mom and wife. I didn't hear about this accident until I read your blog. The Neilson family will definately be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously...could a family get any cuter. I just entered one of my blog entries to a fund raiser some one put together. I'll be posting about that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself thinking about them daily..isnt it amazing how she has touched so many lives?? I hope everything turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a horrible story and one that I hope turns out happy. She sounded like the greatest person and had the greatest family. My mom actually worked with her mom on the library board. I love how tight the blogging world can get for something like this. Heaven forbid anything should happen to me but I hope people care this much about me or my family! It has been tremendous! Oh and you read the book thief? How did you like it? I'm almost done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw their blog the other day but don't really understand what happened...fill me in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steph's parents, a brother, and some other relations are in our ward. They are the salt of the earth. So glad there is so much rallying for them in the blogging world! Wish all little families in need could be so supported!

    LOVED catching up on your latest posts! Love and miss you! Wish you were closer by to tell me what to do with a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a long time reader of nie nie and cjane. I've been following the story too, and praying...They rock. Seriously.

    Love to you and your little family. Loved that last picture of James and William.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tonight I actually had some time to sit down and read what was going on with this family.. I saw you post this and then Katie and I had no idea who these people were...I have read many posts on her blog and listened to the links and I was getting teary eyed! She seems like a great mother and they have a wonderful family! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete