I don't know why... but I love Valentine's Day. Well, all of February up to--and including--Valentine's Day. I love to browse the valentine aisles at any store I come across. I just can't get enough of all the cute hearts and cheesy gifts. I love that everything is pink or red or white. I love making heart shaped sugar cookies and frosting them perfectly pink. When this obsession began I don't know. Growing up I always longed for a "special valentine." Every year I would write in my journal something to the effect of "No special valentine this year... maybe next year." And, of course, that never happened. But I have a few fond memories anyway.
Every year in our family we drew names and made a valentine for them. I don't know why my mom started doing this. The only thing I can think of is that it took us so long to make just one valentine that she decided one was enough. Who knows. My sister, Amy, drew my name almost every single year. Seriously. From the time I was around 9 (maybe before that?) through high school. She has always been a seamstress. So when she was 7 or 8 she made me a little red, heart-shaped pillow. Of course, she used all the batting on a pillow she had made for her school teacher and mine ended up stuffed with cotton balls--nice and lumpy. I still have that pillow! I'm sure that Amy thinks I'm ridiculous for keeping it. But how could I throw it away?
In high school, a bunch of friends invited the boys we hung out with on a treehouse breakfast date. We probably had just as much fun planning it as we did actually on the date. My freshman year of college some of my roommates and I decided to ask some boys from our ward on a date. We had dinner served to us by our friends and went ice skating. Super fun. Another year at college we serenaded our roommate and her fiance with "their song." In a resturaunt full of people... not embarassing at all. One of my favorite college valentines memories was "personalizing" our candy conversation hearts. Oh man were those hilarious! I just wish I could remember what we wrote. (Lori do you still have them? Yes! go here)
And now I finally have my "special valentine"--and never have to worry about finding one again. Rich always thinks of something wonderful for us. And because William and James are not taken yet, this year I have three valentines. I am one lucky girl.
But, you know, I've come to realize that, for me at least, Valentine's is more than having that "special" one. It's more than buying expensive flowers and jewelry. It's about showing people you love them. If I could I would send each of you a valentine's card... but, alas, I did not. So just imagine me giving you a great big hug and know that:
I love you!




Love you too Jeanine! Yeah, the serenading was a little bit embarrassing. Remember when a boy serenaded us in Maceys and then proposed to you?
ReplyDeleteHa! Heath I totally forgot about the Maceys serenade! Wasn't it for some scavenger hunt or something?
ReplyDeleteYes! Of course I have the hearts!! I've got to find them and take a picture =)
ReplyDeleteSomething that was always special on V-day, my dad would always get all of his daughters a gift..usually something small like some candy or a flower. He continues to do it for my sisters that live there, super sweet.
ReplyDeleteOh, traci, what a cute dad you have! That's super sweet!
ReplyDeleteJeanine - found the hearts. They're on my blog. SMILE.
Oh thank you for the valentine. I think that whenever you remember we are all Heavenly Father's children and treat each other so you are treating people like a special valentine. But, have fun with your own personal "special" valentines this year. (Rich, James and William obviously) I plan on making Jason make up for a missed 1st anniversary and valentines next year!
ReplyDeleteI love valentines day too- oh and I love those cute homemade valentines- hilarious! I also am grateful for my three valentines, but Josh thinks he is getting all these presents and he is already impatient about it. Oi. But it should be a fun day followed by Jakes big day! Can you believe it!?!?
ReplyDeleteI love you too! And I love your blog. And I remember those hearts too! Although I don't think I wrote any... did I? Lori, I can't believe you saved them. Remember that Jacob took us to that Indian restaraunt on the 13th of Feb? Good times!
ReplyDeleteyou are too sweet! Aren't you so glad that we have a Valentine for Eternity! and dont have to worry about being alone on V-day! So great! Thanks for the HUG! I LOVE YOU TOO!
ReplyDeleteI think I remember the Indian restaraunt...? I DO remember ordering the heart shaped pizza with Jacob...and watching? Can't remember. Some movie.
ReplyDeleteLove you, friends!
Oh Lori. I'm so glad that you have those hearts. That makes me smile! And YES we did order heart shaped pizza and watch "Loves Labors Lost". Oh fun times.
ReplyDeleteTraci... my dad did the same thing! We'd always get a single flower from my dad. I'd forgotten about that!
Laura... I agree! And I'm sure Jason will make it up to you!!! Rich is actually out of town this week so he has to make it up as well :)
Melissa... I love that Josh is excited about it. And I can't believe that Jacob is a year already!!!
Carrie... after I wrote this I looked in my journal and remembered the Indian resturaunt. How fun was that?
Heidi... YES! I love having an eternal valentine!
Love you too, Jeanine!
ReplyDeleteWhat great V-day memories.
Happy Valentine's Day!
You had to mention the serenading to the future Bomsta family, I see. Drat...I've got that stupid song in my head all day now
ReplyDeleteYou're so cute. Who didn't dream about a special Valentine, right?
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree that Valentine's day is about showing people you love them...that is what it has always been about for me. And that is why I have always loved Valentines day since I was little. I absolutely loved giving people valentine notes, candy, and best of all, sugar cookies. And I still love to go doorbell ditching sugar cookies on Valentines day to as many people as I possibly can!
ReplyDeleteJeanine- Happy Valentines! So I found your blog though Lori's! You know what's funny is that I actually have a picture from Valentines umm 7 years ago... (That comment made me feel old!) Who knew that all of you wonderful long lost friends were bloggers. If you email me at meggandben@yahoo.com then I'll send it to you. It was fun! Good to see your doing good. What a sweet family! -Megg from TN.
ReplyDeleteGet the handsome out of my hair...I love it!
ReplyDeleteHope you had a Happy Valentines Day! I Love You to!! What a cute post. I love everything about Valentines too, probably because I love all the hearts... I could buy everything!
ReplyDeleteI heard Ace of Base in the car today and totally thought of you. I had no idea you had a love for them. I laughed when the song came on and then stayed in the car in the WalMart parking lot to sing along until it was over. I though about calling you even, but didn't have your number with me. Too funny...it will always remind me of you now.
ReplyDeleteJeanine - it is so fun to read your blog! What a cute family! A while ago you said you had some friends out here (sorry I didn't respond sooner...) We are in Athens. It's pretty small and far from the big cities, but you never know, they might be close by.
ReplyDeleteLauren